Any way to find "not" character in Search and Replace?

P

phyljohn

Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC The "not" character is ASCII 194. It looks a bit like the capital letter L on its side. The character is obtained by typing option-L on the keyboard.

I have a document with a lot of "not" characters instead of hyphens and I want to replace them with no character, that is, with nothing. The trouble is Word's Search and Replace can't find the "not" characters in the document even though I can type it into the Find box.

In the Find box I also tried typing (caret)194 but still Word could not find it in the document.

Of course, I can manually remove the "not" characters one-by-one but there are a lot of them to remove.

Is there any way to get Word's Search and Replace to find the "not" characters so that they can be replaced?

P

phyljohn

Found the answer! The character was not the ASCII "not" character. It was Word's symbol for an optional hyphen, which is found in the Special menu of the Find and Replace dialogue.

Ask a Question