Archive from inbox (IMAP)

Discussion in 'Outlook General' started by Jim S, Oct 28, 2013.

  1. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    With a gmail app I can 'archive' an email from the inbox and it stays
    in the all-mail folder, but disappears from the inbox.
    Is there a way to delete from inbox without removing from all mail?
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK
    www.jimscott.co.uk
     
    Jim S, Oct 28, 2013
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    VanguardLH <> wrote in news:l4mrl3$er9$:

    > Jim S wrote:
    >
    >> With a gmail app I can 'archive' an email from the inbox and it stays
    >> in the all-mail folder, but disappears from the inbox.

    >
    > So how is this a question about Outlook? Apps exhibit their own
    > behavior.
    >
    >> Is there a way to delete from inbox without removing from all mail?

    >
    > From Gmail's own online help:
    >
    > All Mail is your archive, a storage place for all the mail you've

    ever
    > sent or received, *but have not deleted*.
    >
    > To archive mail:
    >
    > 1. Select the message(s) you'd like to archive by checking the box

    (es)
    > next to the sender's name.
    > 2. Click Archive at the top of your inbox.
    >
    > In contrast, read the first line at:
    >
    > https://support.google.com/mail/answer/78755?hl=en
    >
    > So Google doesn't know how their customized server-side behavior

    works.
    > They say a deleted item will disappear from the All Mail folder. Then
    > they say deleting an item will leave a copy on the All Mail folder.
    >
    > You sure you configured the IMAP account in Outlook so the root-level
    > folder is "[Gmail]"? Or are you even asking about how to use Outlook
    > since you started with "with a Gmail app"?
    >
    > https://support.google.com/mail/answer/82367?hl=en
    >
    > Here they say that moving an item to the Trash folder marks it for
    > permanent deletion (whenever Gmail happens to perform a cleanup of

    your
    > account, like in a week). Well, permanent implies it won't be

    anywhere
    > in your account. If you are asking about Outlook then deleting there
    > means to move an item into Deleted Items (Trash) folder. Their

    solution
    > is "We strongly recommend that you do not set either of these folders

    as
    > the trash folder for your email client." You'll have to configure

    your
    > e-mail client to NOT move deleted items into the [Gmail]/Trash folder
    > but instead into some local-only folder known only by your e-mail

    client
    > (e.g., Deleted Items). Your e-mail client has no knowledge of their
    > special server-side "archive" function that isn't part of IMAP.
    >
    > If you're expecting Google to comply with IMAP standards then you'll

    be
    > disappointed. They have their own server-side behaviors which don't
    > match up with standard IMAP behavior. E-mail clients know IMAP, they
    > don't know gIMAP (Google's flavor of IMAP).
    >

    Aw man. I like Outlook because of the other things it does. I would like
    to delete an email from the INBOX without deleting from ALL MAIL (as
    both gmail and Thunderbird will do) If I can do it on my Android for
    free, I should be able to do it in Outlook which I paid a lot of money
    for, but then I still believe in Father Christmas.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK
    www.jimscott.co.uk
     
    Jim S, Oct 29, 2013
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Jim S

    VanguardLH Guest

    Jim S wrote:

    > Aw man. I like Outlook because of the other things it does. I would like
    > to delete an email from the INBOX without deleting from ALL MAIL (as
    > both gmail and Thunderbird will do) If I can do it on my Android for
    > free, I should be able to do it in Outlook which I paid a lot of money
    > for, but then I still believe in Father Christmas.


    Did you configure the IMAP account in Outlook to use "[Gmail]" as the
    root node for your account there?

    http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/gmailroot.htm
    http://www.msoutlook.info/question/546

    As Google said, you need to NOT "delete" (move) items into their Trash
    folder where those items become eligible for permanent deletion. See:

    http://www.msoutlook.info/question/675

    I figure if this article says to do it one way (that you don't want)
    that it might indicate a reverse way (to get what you want).

    Google never did support IMAP and has anomalies in supporting POP3.
    They emulate IMAP somewhat. Remember there are no folders in Gmail.
    Those "folders" you see in Gmail are *labels* that get assigned to
    e-mails. Categorizing e-mails by labels groups them together and Google
    pretends those groups are folders when using IMAP. Who knows what that
    "app" does that you mention. Maybe it understands Google's concept of
    archiving by removing all labels from selected e-mails. IMAP has no
    concept of labels, just folders, so that "archiving" is *not* an IMAP
    function. When using Gmail, lots of behaviors don't follow the IMAP
    e-mail standard and require a sort of mapping or translation.
     
    VanguardLH, Oct 29, 2013
    #3
  4. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 20:32:28 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

    > Jim S wrote:
    >
    >> Aw man. I like Outlook because of the other things it does. I would like
    >> to delete an email from the INBOX without deleting from ALL MAIL (as
    >> both gmail and Thunderbird will do) If I can do it on my Android for
    >> free, I should be able to do it in Outlook which I paid a lot of money
    >> for, but then I still believe in Father Christmas.

    >
    > Did you configure the IMAP account in Outlook to use "[Gmail]" as the
    > root node for your account there?
    >
    > http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/gmailroot.htm
    > http://www.msoutlook.info/question/546
    >
    > As Google said, you need to NOT "delete" (move) items into their Trash
    > folder where those items become eligible for permanent deletion. See:
    >
    > http://www.msoutlook.info/question/675
    >
    > I figure if this article says to do it one way (that you don't want)
    > that it might indicate a reverse way (to get what you want).
    >
    > Google never did support IMAP and has anomalies in supporting POP3.
    > They emulate IMAP somewhat. Remember there are no folders in Gmail.
    > Those "folders" you see in Gmail are *labels* that get assigned to
    > e-mails. Categorizing e-mails by labels groups them together and Google
    > pretends those groups are folders when using IMAP. Who knows what that
    > "app" does that you mention. Maybe it understands Google's concept of
    > archiving by removing all labels from selected e-mails. IMAP has no
    > concept of labels, just folders, so that "archiving" is *not* an IMAP
    > function. When using Gmail, lots of behaviors don't follow the IMAP
    > e-mail standard and require a sort of mapping or translation.


    Everything you say is true and yes my account is set up as you say.
    However Thunderbird manages an archive function.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK
    www.jimscott.co.uk
     
    Jim S, Oct 29, 2013
    #4
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Similar Threads
  1. Jeremy E Cath

    BETA: IMAP Auto Archive

    Jeremy E Cath, Aug 2, 2003, in forum: Outlook General
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    340
    Jeremy E Cath
    Aug 2, 2003
  2. Travis Rabe
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    251
    Travis Rabe
    Nov 13, 2003
  3. Christopher D

    IMAP and Sent Items and overall poor IMAP functionality

    Christopher D, Dec 8, 2003, in forum: Outlook General
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    218
    Jeff Stephenson [MSFT]
    Dec 9, 2003
  4. Wayne
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    296
    Wayne
    Feb 25, 2004
  5. Naren
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    231
    Naren
    Aug 30, 2004
  6. CompleteNewb

    IMAP folders not showing, strange IMAP issues

    CompleteNewb, Jan 11, 2007, in forum: Outlook General
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    247
    Brian Tillman
    Jan 11, 2007
  7. Alan
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    338
  8. DL
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    267
    Justrick
    Mar 27, 2009
Loading...