equation object, not just the number, even with 'Only
label and number' chosen.

2. Set the Text Wrapping for the equation object to 'Top
and Bottom'. The equation object is then like a drawing
object that I can move around, and the caption appears in
a text box that can be manually positioned in the right
spot. The manual moving is slightly painful, but I also
have great difficulties keeping the equations in the
right place in relation to the surrounding paragraphs.
What's more, the caption numbers do not automatically
update (even using Ctrl-A, F9)

Any gurus out there able to help me?

S

Shauna Kelly

Hi Matt

The usual approach is a 2-column, 1-row table without borders. The killer is that, if you click in the right-hand cell, and do
Insert > Reference > Caption, Word thinks you want a caption for the whole table. So, for the deluxe version, proceed as follows:

1. Create a (fake) caption using Insert > Reference > Caption. Don't add any caption text to this caption.

2. Create a 2-column, 1-row table without borders. Make the columns the width you want.

3. In the left-hand column create an equation. It need only say x. Give it the formatting options you want (eg in-line with text
works well in this situation).

4. Copy your (fake) caption and put it in the right-hand cell of your table. After the number, leave a space, type ctrl F9 and
within the brackets that Word gives you, type so it looks like { macrobutton nomacro [Click here and type] }

Press F9 to display the result rather than the codes.

5. Select the whole table and use Insert > AutoText to turn it into an AutoText. Call it something original like "Equation".

Now, whenever you want an equation, just type Equation and press Enter, and Word will insert the whole table, with the numbered
caption. All you do is double-click the fake equation in the left-hand box and edit it as you need. And click where shown to add the
text of your caption in the right-hand box.

Alternatively, you can use Tools > Customize to put the AutoText on a toolbar button or give it a shortcut key.

By the way, if you let Word put captions in Text Boxes, you can't then create a table of figures, because Word can't "see" the text
in text boxes.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word
Melbourne, Australia

Ask a Question