Automatically insert "Continued" in footer based on existing STYLEREF

Reaction score
Not sure how exactly to explain my desire... I have a document that consists of song lyrics used for singing gigs. It's a typical Word doc, and uses styles "Song Title" and "Song Lyrics" for formatting. The header uses STYLEREF to display the Song Title on pages 2+ of a given song.

What I'm trying to do is add "Continued" in the footer of pages 2+ of a song, and not show it in the footer when the next Song Title appears (i.e., page 1 of the next song).

The file gets displayed on an iPad, and pages are turned using a bluetooth AirTurn pedal. Obviously in the midst of singing, things can get moving quickly, so I might choose to insert an arrow of some kind rather than the words "continued" but I think the example is the same.

Any help is appreciated!

Reaction score
I should add that I'd thought about using section breaks, but this will be set up in a Word dotx and will be highly edited, so section breaks are less than desirable for this application. My goal is to automate this with styles.

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Unless your StyleRef field can compare two song titles on the same page when a song ends (i.e. the new song doesn't start on the next page), it can't produce the results you're after. Subject to that proviso, you might use a field coded as:
{IF{STYLEREF "Heading 1"}={STYLEREF "Heading 1" \l} "Continued"}
where 'Heading 1' is the Style name used for the song title.

Ask a Question