Book chapter headings, numbering

Reaction score
After spending so much time searching for answers, on MS Word Help and on several forums it looks like I need to post my own question. I have a book all written, and in trying to format it I am already stuck at the beginning. I have MS Word for Mac 2011, and I'm using an iMac with Mavericks.

I want to have front matter with Contents, Intro and Acknowledgements. And I have 12 parts I want to call Part 1, Part 2, etc. Under each Part there are an average of about 5 or 6 Chapters I want to call Chapter 1, Chapter 2, etc.

A lot of forum posts I have seen online link to this page (http://shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numbering20072010.html) and I try the instructions but I get stuck toward the beginning of "Create a list style" as some of the tabs we are supposed to see are not in my version of MS Word. (Did things change between Word 2010 and 2011?)

I want Word to number all my Parts (probably to be Heading 1) from 1 to 12, which my WOrd Help told me to do manually which I have done. It's only 12. However, the subsections that I will call Chapters go up to 73, I think. Is there some way to get Word to number them automatically after I set the initial Chapter 1? It doesn't seem to want to do that. I've tried that in Define Multilevel List but it isn't working. And in the linked page from Shauna Kelly she points to a Modify Multilevel Lists dialogue box which is not showing up in my version.

I appreciate any help, and thanks.

Ask a Question