break links

T

thurman

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

The problem I am having seems to have been posted a couple times, but it seems the discussions were closed without providing a solution. Forgive me if I missed it.

I just purchased Office for Mac and today I moved (2) .xls files from my PC to the Mac. I opened one of them (we'll call it A) and at some point ran the compatibility checker. One of the 'warnings' I received said something about macintosh-specific links.

I looked at Edit/Links... and found that my file A, to my surprise, thought it was linked to the other Excel file I had copied to my Mac (we'll call it B). I tried to Break the link, but it wouldn't break. I ran a Find for a link to file B, but as I would have suspected, no links to file B turned up.

It turns out that file A was actually created long ago by renaming file B. Is it possible that there is some residual memory in A of its having once been B, and that this materialize as a fictitious link to B?

Or does it have something to do with the fact that I copied them at the same time into the same folder on my Mac?

Any help will be appreciated.

thurman

H

H. LIEW

I too am facing the same problem. I have two links in a spreadsheet which I
cannot break. The two files has been deleted.

When I click "Break Link", nothing happens. The file still shows up in the
window under Source File.

Ask a Question