can i recover my emails from a pc backup?

J

juan arciniega

I was getting a hard drive error message so I immediately made a full pc backup onto an external drive using vistas backup and restore. Now I have my new hard drive and when i open the backed up files I get one folder and inside is over 700 zipped files with file paths to all my documents from my old hard drive. So I managed to go in and grab pictures, docs etc, but how do i get my outlook emails? where does it store them? I just need the file path and that way I can go through the zipped files to that file path.

One thing irealized after trying to recover them: I saw in forums people saying to create a pst file and use that to transfer my emails, but it is too late for me to create a pst files because my hard drive is toast... however wouldnt a full pc backup still have a way of recouping my thousands and thousands of emails?.
Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com

J

juan arciniega

Thank you so much for your response and help with this! It gives me so much hope that my stuff isn't lost, Do you know where outlook would have stored this file? like a file path?
thanks!

bens wrote on Sun, 18 April 2010 23:4

B

Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Thank you so much for your response and help with this! It gives me so much
hope that my stuff
isn't lost, Do you know where outlook would have stored this file? like a
file path?

While Outlook doesn't care which folder you use to store your data, the folder
it chooses by default is
%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Outlook, which is
C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook