CAN I RETRIEVE A CLIPBOARD ITEM WHICH HAS BEEN OVERWRITTEN?

M

Marie

I copied a huge bit of work into clipboard for fear of losing it because a
page had timed out, it asked me for a password to log back in so I hit the
back button several times then did the unthinkable!!! I copied the password
into clipboard and erased the huge amount of text I'd been working on for the
last 3 hours!!!!

I'm gutted but wondering if there is a possible way to access the previous
clipboard entries??

K

Karl E. Peterson

Marie said:
I copied a huge bit of work into clipboard for fear of losing it because a
page had timed out, it asked me for a password to log back in so I hit the
back button several times then did the unthinkable!!! I copied the password
into clipboard and erased the huge amount of text I'd been working on for the
last 3 hours!!!!

I'm gutted but wondering if there is a possible way to access the previous
clipboard entries??

3 hours effort without saving? Wow.

You're probably best off looking at this as a *very* valuable lesson. :-(

N

Nathan Undisclosed

Isn't that a bit mean?

No, you cannot recover items lost from the clipboard, as Windows (without any clipboard monitoring programs) will only save one item to the clip board at any time. I just did the same thing.

There are several ways, however, to prevent this from happening again.

You can get programs such as Clipdiary (i havent tried it yet, but goto http://clipdiary.com/ for more info) to automonously save any data you store in the clipboard. This way, when you delete your 3 hours of unsaved work, goto clipdairy, and load the info you lost!

You could also write your work in Word, for an example, as Microsoft Word has the capability of saving multiple items to the clipboard at any time (i think a max of 20) however Word will stop managing this info when it is closed.

Or, you can also make a Notepad file on the desktop, to store such important information as your 3 hours of work, with other info such as passwords, ID's, Ip addresses, or just random scraps of information that you probably will only refer to 1 or 2 times again, and will then no longer need it. However this method is rather crude, fussy, and easily forgotten. It can also leave secure information vulnerable to prying eyes.

Ultimately, the best solution is to use a save button, and do all your vital work offline, before carrying it online where time is a factor. It may be a bit time consuming or annoying but at least you dont lose 3 hours of work.

Ask a Question