Can not Forward Attachments . . .

F

FarmerBob

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Power PC
Email Client: pop

I just upgraded, term used loosely, to Office 2008 (2004 was crashing every time I looked at it - as I see other are having the same problem) and other than a few little missing features/options that I will get over, the one major issue I have encountered is that when I go to forward an eMail that has an attachment, the attachment does not go with the eMail. I have read a few posts here that deselecting the "partial download" option in the Account worked for a few. That is not a factor with my problem. I have scoured the options and have not found anything that would apply to this issue.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

.. . . fb

F

FarmerBob

Thanks for the reply! But . . .

.. . . I thought to myself . . . "Why doesn't it just automatically attach them when you hit reply, as they did in Office 2004?" . . . and then did a couple of experiments:

1. Forwarded an eMail to myself that had attachments on it. Low and behold in the sending process the attachments do not appear to be there anywhere in the process, but they are upon receipt of the eMail. That seems if they are under a certain size or embedded pictures, they get included.

2. Then sent an couple with 255KB .wav and not only the attachment was there but a duplicate eMail with the attachment that doubled the size of the original eMail. That is not good.

3. Then after I got an eMail that came into my "Inbox" for a change, I sent one that happened to be in the "inbox" with a larger attachment on it. The first were from the "Junk E-mail" folder, since now most of my mail, since v11.3, goes into the "Junk Mail" folder. WHAT?! Anyway, the attachment is there all during the process and you don't have to "Forward as Attachment".

4. Then I sent that same eMail to myself again from the "Junk Mail" folder, and the attachment performed as it had in v2004, meaning that it was there.

5. Rinse, repeat . . . same.

So it looks like if the eMail has an attachment that is over a certain size and is mailed from the "Junk E-mail" folder, the attachment is cast off. If it comes from the "Inbox" the attachment is magically marked as "safe", I guess, and can make many/any journeys as needed when sent form the "Junk E-mail" folder.

THIS MAKES NO SENSE and is ridiculous. So . . .

6. I sent to myself, two more times, just to be thorough, an newly created eMail with a PDF, like the one of the tests, attachment and . . . wait for it . . . it works as it should.

The only difference now is that the first eMails were "imported" upon installation of Office 2008 and the 12.2 update and, for some reason, the attachments are deemed "unfit" for reattaching. So now it's "Can't forward attachments if they are from pre-Office 2008 install imported mail that resided in the 'Junk E-mail' folder". But if an attachment is present, it is still accessible. AND why is mail that is marked "Not Junk" going into my "Junk E-mail" folder and I can not mark mail that is marked as any level of "Junk" as not "Junk", since the "Not Junk" button is not available.

Scratch that. I just created a "sent after the change over", to me from my VoiceMail, identical eMail with a .wav file from my VoiceMail on it. And it will not send with the attachment. So now the only thing I can think of is mail coming into "Junk E-mail" folder with an X or larger sized attached file, no idea what X ='s, the attachment is not included in a future forward. Unfortunately, since "Forward as Attachment" makes the file twice the size, it is not an option since I get mail with very large files attached.

Now another "idiosyncrasy". What next?

More research needed here. A lot more. Time for a nap.

P.S.
If the above makes no sense, it doesn't to me either right now. Maybe after my nap, been up all night, I can find something. OR someone may reply with and answer or confirmation.

.. . . fb

P.S.S.
I am having resend these replies, and my first post twice to get them in the discussion. After I press the "Publish" button, I get taken to the Mactopia home page. Paging back gets me back to my posts.

Select All, Copy, Button press number two, right now . . .

Ask a Question