Cannot edit Project Fields on MS Project 2007

H

Hieu Le Trung

Hi all,

I don't know why I cannot edit the Project Outline Fields on MS Project 2007. The Project option is grey out (in Tools -> Customize -> Fields...).
For project existed in the Enterprise. I got the Project Field opened, but there's nothing in it.

What happen? Please help me.

Thank you,
Hieu

M

Mike Glen

Hi Hieu ,

Try posting on the server newsgroup as this one is closing down. Please see FAQ Item: 24. Project Newsgroups. FAQs, companion products and other useful Project information can be seen at this web address:http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm .

Mike Glen
Project MVP

Hi all,

I don't know why I cannot edit the Project Outline Fields on MS Project 2007. The Project option is grey out (in Tools -> Customize -> Fields...).
For project existed in the Enterprise. I got the Project Field opened, but there's nothing in it.

Thank you,
Hieu

D

Dale Howard [MVP]

Hieu --

In the future, please post your Project Server 2007 questions in the microsoft.public.project.server newsgroup, as this newsgroup is closing down. To answer your question, there are serveral things you need to know about how to create custom enterprise fields:

1. You create custom enterprise fields primarily using Project Web Access. Navigate to the Server Settings page and then click the "Enterprise Custom Field Definition" link in the Enterprise Data section of the page. From this location, you can create both custom enterprise fields (Project, Resource, and Task) and custom enterprise Lookup Tables.

2. If you open the Enterprise Global file in Project Professional 2007, the system will allow you to create only custom enterprise Task and Resource fields, but not Project fields. After creating a custom enterprise Task or Resource field in Project Professional 2007, you can import the field into the Project Server system, but then you must navigate to the Custom Fields and Lookup Tables page in PWA (using the steps above) and rename the new custom field.

3. Because of the limitation of #1 above when attempting to create a custom field containing a formula, I create the formula temporarily using the tools in Project Professional 2007 and then copy the formula to the custom enterprise field definition page in PWA.

Hope this helps.

--
Dale A. Howard [MVP]
VP of Educational Services
msProjectExperts
http://www.msprojectexperts.com
http://www.projectserverexperts.com
"We write the books on Project Server"

Hi all,

Thank you,
Hieu

Ask a Question