Cannot enter data into PPT graph tool

P

paulw

Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC I am working on a Mac G5 PPC/OS X 10.4.11/2.5 GB RAM, running PPT 2004.

I have never had any issues creating simple graphs or pie charts using the Graph tool in PPT, until today. As always, I clicked on the 'Insert Chart' icon, which opened up Microsoft Graph.

In Graph I selected the pie chart and then brought the data sheet to the front by clicking the 'View Datasheet' icon. Normally at this point I would simply enter my data in the cells, quit Graph and return to PPT.

However, today I was unable to enter any data into the cells. I can 'Clear Contents' by highlighting the cells with the default data and right-clicking but can't do much else. I was finally able to create the pie chart by entering the data into Text Edit and copy/pasting that into the cells.

I tried rebooting PPT and even restarting my Mac, but that didn't resolve the issue. It's not my keyboard as it's working with everything else. I don't recall changing any settings in PPT. I'm baffled, as this has never happened in my years of using the application.

Hopefully this is enough information to get some help. Thanks.

C

CyberTaz

One piece missing is your update level of Office 2004 -- if it isn't at
11.5.6 that may be the problem. Confirm that & run Disk Utility - Repair
Disk Permissions.

If the problem continues try running PPT in a different User Account to see
if you have the same issue there.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

P

paulw

Bob, thanks very much for your advice. I ran 'Check for Updates' from the Help menu in PPT and that brought me up to version 11.5.5. Then I downloaded 11.5.6 from Mactopia, installed that and repaired permissions using Disk Utility as you suggested.

Although these steps didn't immediately resolve the issue (I still couldn't enter anything in Graph), your suggestions did prompt me to trash 'com.microsoft.Graph.prefs.plist' from 'User/Library/Preferences/Mircosoft'. After doing so, things are back to normal.

Thanks again!

C

CyberTaz

Glad you got it resolved ‹ and thanks for posting your fix!

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

Ask a Question