Cannot get Entourage 2008 to connect to Exchange Server 2000

G

gerdgoebel

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange I just bought my first Mac yesterday. I have a small Windows 2000 Server which is also my domain controller. I was able to connect the Mac to the domain without any problem.
My problem is to have Entourage connect to my Exchange Server 2000. Using Outlook 2003 on my Windows PCs was a piece of cake. Just needed to select the Exchange server name and the user id, verify the name, and Outlook synced with the Exchange server.
However, in Entourage the setup is different and regardless what I try, i can't get Entourage to talk to the exchange server.
I setup an account in Entourage (version 12.2.2). Gave it an Account name, entered a name, e-mail address, existing account id, domain as domain.com, password. I use the account information as logon.
I used the same exchange server name like server235.domain.com that i also use in Outlook. I tried with DAV service required and without, but no difference.
I have a problem on the advanced tab with the public folder server and have no idea if i need LDAP and if I do, what i need to enter.
I spend all day Googling this setup, checked this forum for details, checked MS support. Found numerous articles which I followed. Sometimes the account name shows just with the name so i assume that I connect to the exchange server. Depending what values i had entered in the account setup I sometimes also see the account name with "not connected", indicating that some of my values are not correct.
When it seems to connect and I try to send an e-mail I most of the time get an error message "HTTP erro. The resource is not found".
I really would appreciate any comments, suggestions, links about how to get Entourage to talk to the Exchange server.
Thanks in advance.
Gerd

G

gerdgoebel

Thank you very much for your reply, Diane. I updated to 12.2.4 but still have the same problems.
When trying to send a new e-mail i always get the following error:
HTTP error. The resource is not found.
Explanation
Mail could not be sent. The message has been moved to your Drafts folder.
Account name: "Gerd"
Error: -18596
This happens when it seems that i am connected to the server. On the top left I see the account name Gerd. If i am not connected there is a (not connected) after the name.
The connection changes depending what i use as the exchange server name.
On the account settings i have the following values
Account name: Gerd
Name: Gerd MyLastName
E-mail address: (e-mail address removed)
Account ID: Gerd
Domain: tried Netbios name DOMAIN and also domain.com
Password: mypassword
Dont user Kerberos
Exchange server: server235.domain.com also tried server235.domain.com/exchange/[email protected]
the DAV and the override check boxes are not set

Regardless what exchange server name i use i always get the HTTP error

In outlook 2003 i use server235.domain.com as the exchange server name. Works just fine there.

I also exited Entourage every time i made changes to the account setting.

one thing i wanted to mention. when i start Entourage I see the account name with (not connected) at the end for a few seconds but then the (not connected) goes away. This suggest to me that i am connected to the exchange server. If i click on the account name and then click Send/Receive nothing happens at all. no screen update, no message, no errors.

Would you have any other suggestions i could try?

D

Diane Ross

Thank you very much for your reply, Diane. I updated to 12.2.4 but still have
the same problems.

I didn't expect it to fix your problems, but it's always good to run the
latest version.
Error: -18596

This is what we have on this error:

The folder cannot be found on the Exchange Server. The folder might be
deleted or moved or it cannot be accessed (-18596).

Add the affected folder within Entourage to your favorites.

Also see Microsoft KB KB884985 for more info.

Account ID: Gerd

You might try (e-mail address removed)
Domain: tried Netbios name DOMAIN and also domain.com

I have nothing for Domain.
Password: mypassword
Dont user Kerberos

Exchange server: server235.domain.com also tried
server235.domain.com/exchange/[email protected]
the DAV and the override check boxes are not set

Try checking Secure connection and if you include LDAP, check this server
requires me to log in.

Some of the other MVPs know a lot more about Exchange than I do. Hopefully
someone will see this and add the missing info.

Did you try tcpflow?

--
Diane Ross, Microsoft Mac MVP
Entourage Help Page <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/>
Entourage Help Blog <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/>
YouTalk <http://tinyurl.com/bzcrjy> <-- Entourage mailing list
Twitter: follow <http://twitter.com/entouragehelp>

G

gerdgoebel

I am getting frustrated with Entourage now. I was going through my exchange server configuration a 100 times, verified each setting, flag, configuration but still can't get Entourage to work.

I installed an ran tcpflow and got a huge number of messages. What I can make out is that it seems that there is IIS 5.0 involved somehow and that it cannot find an HTTP object.

here is a portion of what I get
192.168.010.088.54855-192.168.010.031.00080:
192.168.010.031.00080-192.168.010.088.54855: HTTP/1.1 404 Object Not Found
Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 03:31:22 GMT
Connection: close
Content-Length: 4040
Content-Type: text/html

What i already see here is that 192.168.10.31 is not the IP of my server. no idea where Entourage gets this e-mail from. it's a valid address on the server hosting the exchange server.

I need to spend more time learning about what all the logs mean and how to translate it into config changes either in Entourage or the Exchange server.

But now my success story.
To at least get any e-mail running on the Mac I configured Mail 4.2 and low and behold I got immediately all my inbox message from the exchange server in my inbox. At least this is good news. What I did not get is all the sent e-mails that are still on the server. Ultimately I want those as well, but that is not so critical at the moment.

I ran into one problem, I was able to send and receive e-mail from/to my internal network, but I was not able to send e-mails to the Internet. Even though the Connection Doctor showed that I connected to incoming and outgoing servers when sending e-mails I got a popup indicating problems with the SMTP settings.

I could not figure out what the problem was but here tcpflow was very helpful. One of the message was talking about the Mac could not relay via the exchange server. Well, at least I knew those flags on the exchange server, added the mac ip as an additional relay entry and voila Mac Mail works!!!! Finally.

The next challenge now is to get my sent e-mails to sync with the Mac and then figure out how I can access my contacts and the public folders on the exchange server.

I am still looking for the LDAP settings/syntax on my exchange server. Anybody knows where I have to look?

Or anybody have an idea about syncing my sent e-mails and public folders?

G

gerdgoebel

Stupid me. Got all my sent e-mails from the server. I did not pay attention about the sorting of the sent fold. After I was not able to scroll down I only saw todays and yesterdays sent items. Well, sorting by date descending resolved the problem. See now everything.

Next tasks private and public contacts.

Ask a Question