Cannot Insert Object as Link in PowerPoint. Receiving server app error.

Reaction score
I'm trying to insert a .mov file into PowerPoint 2010 (it's part of Microsoft Office Standard 2010) and I'm getting the "The server application, source file, or item can't be found, or returned an unknown error. You may need to reinstall the server application" error.

I tried with other types of docs and got the same result.

The .mov file is 500MB, so I do not want to embed it. I want it set up as a link that will ideally play within the PPT (not sure if that's a PC feature, but it will work that way on a mac).

Has anyone else came across this issue?

Reaction score
server application error

I'm trying to insert a .mov file into PowerPoint 2010 (it's part of Microsoft Office Standard 2010) and I'm getting the "The server application, source file, or item can't be found, or returned an unknown error. You may need to reinstall the server application" error.

I tried with other types of docs and got the same result.

The .mov file is 500MB, so I do not want to embed it. I want it set up as a link that will ideally play within the PPT (not sure if that's a PC feature, but it will work that way on a mac).

Has anyone else came across this issue?

I have the simialar problem. When I insert object from file _ one presentation into abother _ and select LINK option the same error message appears.

I have noteced something else with inserting object. I've used Office 2013 on my old computer (32 bit Windows). There when insert PopoerPoinnt as object _ it appear as tumbnail.
Now when I insert presentatio as object it appear on the slide as an icon, not as a tumbnail.

Can anyone help with these?

Ask a Question