Can't close old pst file

Reaction score
I've had my pst file located on an external drive for years. I just discovered that it should always be on the local drive. I've copied to my local drive on my laptop and opened it in Outlook 365. Then I reset each email address to use the new copy of the pst file. All of that is working fine. But it will not let me close the old pst file. Both pst files are open but the new one is the only one that Outlook is using. When I try to close the old pst file the option is grayed out. What do I need to do to get the old pst closed? Thank you for any help!

Reaction score
I found the issue. Had to set the new pst file as the default and then the old one could be closed.

File>Account Settings>Manage Profiles>Data Files

Reaction score
Set a different pst as the default then restart Outlook. You'll be able to close the pst from the folder list once you do that. Oh, and if you have calendar or contacts in it, you'll want to move them to the default pst before you remove it from outlook.

Ask a Question