Can't edit text inside a cell

R

rwheeler

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

I have Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac and have installed the latest update (Version 12.2.1). At some point recently I noticed that I could not click inside a cell to add or edit text within a cell. In Windows you can enter a cell to edit it by pressing the F2 button.

I went into Excel Preferences and checked to make sure that the "Edit Directly in Cell" box was checked--tried checking and unchecking it several times with no effect.

Also I've noticed that in Microsoft Word Outline view I can't open an outline level to see what's inside it by checking on the "+" symbol to the left of the outline element. Instead I have to click on the "+" symbol in the task bar, which is a major annoyance. I wonder if these two similar problems are related.

This kind of problem, seemingly unresolvable and not mentioned in this forum, is enough to make me sell my Mac and go back to a PC.

R

rwheeler

Addendum to my question: after reading several posts about this I want to clarify that neither double-clicking on a cell will make it editable, nor will pressing control-option-return as some have suggested.

Finally though, searching with different key words in this forum, I found a reply that suggested using Control-U, which in fact does work.

I am very curious though why simply double-clicking to edit cell contents does not work for me. Why would it work for other Mac users but not on my machine? I have Mac OS Leapord 10.5.7 ....

Amazing quantity of info in this forum if you can figure out the right search terms

B

Bob Greenblatt

Addendum to my question: after reading several posts about this I want to
clarify that neither double-clicking on a cell will make it editable, nor will
pressing control-option-return as some have suggested.

Finally though, searching with different key words in this forum, I found a
reply that suggested using Control-U, which in fact does work.

I am very curious though why simply double-clicking to edit cell contents does
not work for me. Why would it work for other Mac users but not on my machine?
I have Mac OS Leapord 10.5.7 ....

Amazing quantity of info in this forum if you can figure out the right search
terms
Double clicking a cell will allow editing in the cell, ONLY if the Edit
preference to allow it is checked. You mentioned in a prior post that you
were turning this on and off. My guess is that it is now off. Turn it back
on.

Ask a Question