Can't get Netshow to start during PP2000 Presentation Broadcast

R

Robert Kulagowski

I've got a Windows 2000 server with SP4 and Office 2000 + all officeupdate.microsoft.com updates loaded on it, along with Media Services 4.1 and IIS. I'm trying to get a test presentation broadcast operational, but I'm running into a wall. The Troubleshooting documentation isn't helping.

After the initial schedule, I get a dialog box that tells me that there's a conflict. As per the troubleshooting guide, I open the Audio, Video and Rex.asd files and after running Query on the ports in Audio I set Video and Rex to use the same ports. Retrying allows me to go through the Mic and Video checks, which are successful.

I then go to start the broadcast, and get an error:
"Failed to start Netshow ASF session"
Clicking details states that the following error was returned from the Netshow encoder: Unspecified Error.

The troublshooting guide for Q224272 says to check "presenter is a member of both the Administrators group and the NetShow Administrators group on the NetShow server". The presenter login is in both groups. There's nothing interesting in any of the event logs.

R

Robert Kulagowski

Just replying to myself, hoping that the thread bump will get a second look.

I have re-examined the documentation, and still can't see where I might be going wrong. The server has been added to the domain. The domain username ("TV02") has been added into the local Netshow Admin and Administrators group. The Online Presentation broadcast service is configured to login as user TV02. (Does TV02 need to be a part of the domain admin group as well, or just the local server admin group?)

Is there anything in particular that needs to be configured on the windows media server itself? Only the default unicast publishing point of c:\asfroot is currently setup. Does presentation broadcasting automatically setup a multicast station when it comes time to do so?

Ask a Question