Can't insert Microsoft Excel Sheet object in Word

T

Tom_R._in_OK

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

The Word documents I prepare include portions of spreadsheets. I would like to be able to have my Word document include the parts of the spreadsheets and then automatically update if I change the spreadsheet.

I have tried Insert-object, and selecting Microsoft Excel Sheet - from file, and then checking the "link" check-box. What appears in my Word document is a big empty white box surrounded by a black border. I am unable to re-size it or make it display any info. Double clicking it takes me to the linked Excel file.

I have also tried selecting the range of cells in Excel, copying, and then pasting special in Word and selecting link & excel sheet. This actually pastes an image of the cells correctly. But when I make changes in the original, they do not show up in the linked object in the Word document.

Any advice on how to link an Excel sheet object so that it displays correctly and updates when changed would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom R.

C

CyberTaz

Hi Tom -

Go to Word> Preferences> General & make sure the box is checked to "Update
automatic links at Open". However, if you make changes in the source while
the Word file is open or want to update at any other time you'll need to
manually update the links - Use Edit> Links in order to do so.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

T

Tom_R._in_OK

Thanks, that's very helpful; it works for when I have copied cells from Excel and pasted as link in Word. I'm still not able to insert an Excel sheet as an object by Insert->Object in Word for some reason.

Regards,

Tom

C

CyberTaz

If the problem with Insert> Object is what you referred to in the first
message go to Word> Preferences> View & make sure there is no check in the
Image Placeholders. If that isn't the issue or if the suggestion doesn't
correct it please provide a complete description of what does happen when
you attempt to use the Insert> Object method.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

Ask a Question