Can't install Office 2008 12.1.7 Update because a version of software can'tbe found

Q

queequeg731

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

Ok, this is really stupid, I get a message saying:

"You cannot install Office 2008 Update 12.1.7 on this volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume"

I only have one volume and that's Macintosh HD, 297GB and Office is installed there I don't know what the problem is.

Hope someone can help me.

Q

queequeg731

SOLUTION:

#1 Uninstall Office:Mac 2008.

#2 Re-Install Office:Mac 2008

#3 Download & Install Office:Mac 2008 Update 12.1.0

#4 Download & Install Office:Mac 2008 Update 12.1.7
(There is no need to install the updates inbetween)

Done.

R

rodkar

have tried a safe boot but still couldn't install. could it be due to my version of entourage being 13.0.0?

Q

queequeg731

i have tried a safe boot but still couldn't install. could it be due to my version of entourage being 13.0.0?

you shouldn't be using version 13.0.0 as its only version 12.0.0 (12.1.5 if you've updated to that version). Did you install 13.0.0 Beta? Remove it and your whole Office and reinstall using version 12.0.0.

D

Diane Ross

have tried a safe boot but still couldn't install. could it be due to my
version of entourage being 13.0.0?

Is this the beta for EWS? This update does not apply to the beta.

N

NewAccountCozOldOneFailed

Let me clarify what 'uninstall' means. I did not run 'Remove Office'. That sounded way too scary coz I didn't know if that would remove all my mail and contacts. What I did to "Uninstall Office: Mac 2008" was to drag the entire Microsoft Office 2008 folder from Applications into the trash, emptied trash, rebooted, then ran the installer. This created a clean install and preserved my files (and the product key, too). This finally resolved this updater failure issues for me.

I would also add that it's a good idea - although I did not remember to do it this time - to hold the Shift key down when you reboot before running the installer. This will prevent any other programs from starting which might interfere with the update process. Diane R frequently suggests this and I will do it in the future as a matter of course.

D

Diane Ross

I did not run 'Remove Office'. That sounded way too scary coz I didn't know if
that would remove all my mail and contacts.

Using "Remove Office" does not delete your Microsoft User Data folder that
contains your email messages. However, it's best to have backups because
things can go wrong.

"Remove Office" is different from dragging the MS Office folder to the
trash. It deletes invisible files and preferences used by MS Office.

More on remove vs delete:

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/install/remove_office.html>

Ask a Question