Can't send meeting invitations (En 12.1.3, Ex 2003)

M

MikeTRose

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel
Email Client: Exchange

Subject says it... after updating to the latest version of Entourage any attempt to send a meeting invitation results in "Unexpected data was encountered... Mail could not be sent." Error code is -17997.

Screenshot at <http://www.screencast.com/t/AqxVJLHtc>

If there are specific Exchange hotfixes implicated in this issue I can check server patch levels to troubleshoot.

C

Chris Watson

You're not the only one experiencing this problem, Mike. I'm having the same
issue following the update. Looking forward to hearing any suggested fixes
for it!

Chris

J

jeff

Sadly, I have also run into this same error. I filled a help request w/ the MS Office 2008 team, but it was rejected due to entourage -> exchange issues needing to be handled by Professional Support.

I am using En 12.1.3 and communicating to w/ an Exchange 2003 environment.

J

jeff

1 more update on this.

While attempting to send the meeting request, I ran a wireshark packet capture to look at the http communications to the exchange/owa server and see if there were any interesting error messages communicated during the http traffic (there is an internal owa server that listens on both tcp/80 and tcp/443 successfully for entourage -> exchange communications).

Interestingly, there was not even an attempt at http communication initiated from the entourage client. the ethernet capture was completely silent on client-> server communication.

As such, I'd tentatively observer that the error is generated within entourage prior to attempt at transmission rather than being some form of incompatibility during client-> server communication.

D

Dave L

Same issue. WTF?! Seriously, this has created havoc at work, as I depend on the meeting scheduling features.

Microsoft: please fix ASAP. This is definitely related to the 12.1.3 update.

Exchange 2003, 12.1.3

J

Jacek Suliga

Thank you for reporting, we are looking into this issue. We'd appreciate if you could answer to the following questions:

- Does this repro on Exchange 2003 only, or has anyone seen this on Exchange 2007, too?
- Is your Entourage identity configured with only 1 account, or do you have more than one account?
- If more than one, do you have more than one Exchange account configured for your identity, or just one, and other accounts are POP/IMAP/Hotmail?
- Is the Drafts folder visible under your Exchange account?
- Does this happen for all Entourage-created meeting invites? Does it happen for meeting updates? Does it happen also for meeting responses?
- Does it repro when the meeting has been created using other client (Outlook/OWA), synced to Entourage and then updated from there?

Any other information that you can provide would be very helpful.

Regards,
Jacek Suliga, MacBU Entourage

M

Mark

I am having this problem, too.

Does this repro on Exchange 2003 only, or has anyone seen this on Exchange
2007, too?

I am using 2003.

Is your Entourage identity configured with only 1 account, or do you have
more than one account?

One only (though I use Open Other User's Folder to see one other account).

Does this happen for all Entourage-created meeting invites?

So far. I have tried only three.

- Does it repro when the meeting has been created using other client (Outlook/OWA), synced to Entourage and then updated from there?

Yes. Just tried with a meeting created in O2K3 SP3.

C

Chiefton

Thank you for reporting, we are looking into this issue. We'd appreciate
if you could answer to the following questions:

- Does this repro on Exchange 2003 only, or has anyone seen this on Exchange
2007, too?

-We only use Exchange 2003

- Is your Entourage identity configured with only 1 account, or do you
have more than one account?

-More than one: 2 Exchange and 2 IMAP

- If more than one, do you have more than one Exchange account configured
for your identity, or just one, and other accounts are POP/IMAP/Hotmail?

-2 Exchange and 2 IMAP (GMAIL and ME.com)

-Yes

- Does this happen for all Entourage-created meeting invites? Does it
happen for meeting updates? Does it happen also for meeting responses?

-All Meeting related invites/Updates/Responces

- Does it repro when the meeting has been created using other client (Outlook/OWA),
synced to Entourage and then updated from there?

-Yes, it seems to always happen

-In the interum, is there a way to uninstall this update?

M

Mark

Sorry, corrected info:

- Is your Entourage identity configured with only 1 account, or do you have more than one account?
- If more than one, do you have more than one Exchange account configured for your identity, or just one, and other accounts are POP/IMAP/Hotmail?

Three accounts: 1 Exchange and 2 IMAP.

C

Chris Watson

Hi Jacek:

- Our company is using Exchange 2003
- One Entourage identity
- One Exchange account, several POP accounts
- Yes, I can see the Drafts folder in the Exchange account
- I am unable to send any invitations I create and am unable to reply to any
invitations or updated received from other Entourage users
- I am unable to respond to invitations or updates sent from MS Outlook
users.

I'm using Mac OS 10.5.5. Thanks,

Chris

J

jeff

- Does this repro on Exchange 2003 only, or has anyone seen this on Exchange 2007, too?

I only have E2k3 to test against.

3 accounts: 1 exchange, 2 IMAP. The 2 IMAP accounts can send meeting requests w/out issues.

Only 1 account is Exchange-based. The other 2 are IMAP.

Yes. The drafts folder is visible. the meeting request email does not show up in the Drafts folder. it does show up in my calendar, flagged as "invitation has not been sent."

- Does this happen for all Entourage-created meeting invites? Does it happen for meeting updates? Does it happen also for meeting responses?

I can successfully send entourage meeting requests from my IMAP account. From my exchange account, I can successfully send meeting responses. From my exchange account, I cannot send meeting updates (when I attempt to update a meeting I had previously sent out).

Yes, the error is reproduced for this scenario as well. I can successfully create/send meeting requests from Outlook 2007. When I attempt to update and send an update to invitees from entourage, the same error occurs.

as mentioned above, the error is generated immediately upon attempt to send from the client. my packet capture never even detects an attempt to send a tcp request to the exchange/owa server.

T

tjfoth

T

tjfoth

Sorry for the last post in mistake... here's my answers

Q: Does this repro on Exchange 2003 only, or has anyone seen this on Exchange 2007, too?

A: Our company uses Exchange as hosted by Microsoft. I don't know what version.

Q: Is your Entourage identity configured with only 1 account, or do you have more than one account?

A: My account USED to be configured for more than one account, but now is configured for one Exchange account.

Q: If more than one, do you have more than one Exchange account configured for your identity, or just one, and other accounts are POP/IMAP/Hotmail?

A: Per previous comment: N/A

Q: Is the Drafts folder visible under your Exchange account?

A: Yes

Q: Does this happen for all Entourage-created meeting invites? Does it happen for meeting updates? Does it happen also for meeting responses?

A: I haven't tried invites or updates. It happens for all meeting responses.

Q: Does it repro when the meeting has been created using other client (Outlook/OWA), synced to Entourage and then updated from there?

A: Haven't tried this.

R

Rian Fowler

Does this repro on Exchange 2003 only, or has anyone seen this on Exchange 2007, too?
USING EXCHANGE 2007, HERE

ONE ACCOUNT

ONE EXCHANGE ACCOUNT, A COUPLE OF IMAP AND POP

DRAFTS FOLDER VISIBLE

I CAN RECEIVE INVITES, MESSAGES, ETC BUT I CANNOT SEND UPDATES, EMAILS OR MEETINGS FROM ENTOURAGE

I CANNOT UPDATE ANY MEETING FROM ENTOURAGE- WHEN I UPDATED A MEETING IN OWA, THE MEETING SHOWS UP TWICE ON ENTOURAGE NOW

Ask a Question