can't unlock a folder

J

jeff_lawr

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: imap there's a little lock icon by the folder name (it's a subfolder of a primary folder). I cannot access the contents.

when I ask to open it, Entourage reports "Reading messages not allowed for this folder."
The lock appeared when I was sorting a huge stack of mail into folders.

How did this happen? And how can I unlock the folder?

Thanks
Jeff

D

Diane Ross

there's a little lock icon by the folder name (it's a subfolder of a primary
folder). I cannot access the contents.

when I ask to open it, Entourage reports "Reading messages not allowed for
this folder."
The lock appeared when I was sorting a huge stack of mail into folders.

Is this a Gmail IMAP account. I had that recently. I found it was a result
of the way I had created the labels in my browser.

If you have subfolders, you also need the root folder.

[Gmail]/XXXX <---you need the root folder
[Gmail]/XXXX/YYYY

Not just
[Gmail]/XXXX/YYYY

--
Diane Ross, Microsoft Mac MVP
Entourage Help Page <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/>
Entourage Help Blog <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/>
YouTalk <http://tinyurl.com/bzcrjy> <-- Entourage mailing list
Twitter: follow <http://twitter.com/entouragehelp>

J

jeff_lawr

Thanks for the response, Diane,

It is a Gmail IMAP account, but I made all my new folders under the default INBOX above the Gmail inbox, because that's where all the messages were.

Now, Gmail's Allmail folder is full, including (based on the number) all messages I was processing when I caused this locked folder

The messages in the directory are probably archived in gmail, so I can get them back, but did you figure out how to fix such messed up directories, in case there isn't a back-up?

Can I define Gmail as a POP account? I'm more familiar with that behavior.

Jeff

D

Diane_Ross_MVP

On 4/26/10 8:34 PM, in article [email protected], &quot;[email protected]&quot; wrote:

It is a Gmail IMAP account, but I made all my new folders under the default INBOX above the Gmail inbox, because that's where all the messages were. &nbsp;

Now, Gmail's Allmail folder is full, including (based on the number) all messages I was processing when I caused this locked folder

The messages in the directory are probably archived in gmail, so I can get them back, but did you figure out how to fix such messed up directories, in case there isn't a back-up?

Can I define Gmail as a POP account? I'm more familiar with that behavior.

Yes, but be sure to select the option not to delete. Entourage will not download the messages in the other folders. Entourage only downloads from the Inbox. But...before you make the change over, see this article on how to setup Entourage with Gmail IMAP. I bet you didn’t select Labs tab in Settings. Enable Advanced IMAP Controls.

Connect Entourage 2004 to Gmail’s IMAP service (Labs were added after this article was written)

Create Gmail labels and make Entourage folders

Gmail Account http://www.entourage.mvps.org/accounts/gmail.html>Gmail[/url] Account

Note:
Deleting IMAP messages

If you delete a message from your inbox or one of your custom folders in your IMAP client, it will still appear in [Gmail]/All Mail.
Here's why: in most folders, deleting a message simply removes that folder's label from the message, including the label identifying the message as being in your inbox. [Gmail]/All Mail shows all of your messages, whether or not they have labels attached to them. If you want to delete a message from all folders, move it to the [Gmail]/Trash folder.

If you delete a message from [Gmail]/Spam or [Gmail]/Trash, it will be deleted permanently.

--
Entourage Help Page &nbsp;&nbsp;
Entourage Help Blog &nbsp;
YouTalk

J

jeff_lawr

Hello Diane,

Thanks again. Oddly, my Entourage 2008 is using INBOX, not Gmail folders for new mail. Which is fortunate, because my Gmail folder is locked.

So, how to work around this, and get an unlocked folder? If I uninstall/reinstall, I'd expect new unlocked folders, with the current folder hierarchy (i.e. subordinate to INBOX) to be preserved. If Entourage started using Gmail folder, I could reconstruct it under that hierarchy.

Is there any more elegant way to unlock existing folders?

BTW, I think dragging folders around is what causes this lock problem, but don't have the liesure to test it.

Thanks,
Jeff

J

jeff_lawr

Follow up:
uninstall and reinstall did not change the local lock on Gmail, but the Allmail folder is accessible on mail.google.com.

I like an address book connected to email, but this undocumented &quot;feature&quot; is like something malodorous stuck on the Entourage's shoe.

Over and out,
Jeff

D

Diane_Ross_MVP

On 4/27/10 11:10 PM, in article [email protected], &quot;[email protected]&quot; wrote:

So, how to work around this, and get an unlocked folder? If I uninstall/reinstall, I'd expect new unlocked folders, with the current folder hierarchy (i.e. subordinate to INBOX) to be preserved. If Entourage started using Gmail folder, I could reconstruct it under that hierarchy. &nbsp;

You need to work on your folders using your Gmail account in your browser. &nbsp;Under Settings link, select Labels, you can recreate your Labels there. Don’t delete a label until you have a new one to assign to messages in that label. Remember Gmail doesn’t actually use folders, but assigns &nbsp;label(s) to messages. If you assign multiple labels, the message is then duplicated in each folder in Entourage.

Gmail IMAP is unique and therefore confusing.

--
Entourage Help Page &nbsp;&nbsp;
Entourage Help Blog &nbsp;
YouTalk

Ask a Question