Cells being erased on a shared Excel document

M

Marko

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

Hello,

We are three in the office using Macintosh computers (Mac mini/Powerbook / Macbook pro) with Leopard and Office 2004 up to date.
We share an excel sheet and use it as a schedule.
The document doesn't contain any calculation but only text.
It is located on our Windows 2003 server and we connect using SMB.
Most of the time, the document is opened on all the computers at the same time and somehow when User 1 is changing some cells and saving, and then User 2 saves again, User 2, instead of getting the cells updated by User 1, gets empty cells instead - while User 1 even after re-saving has his updted cells as they should be. User1 gets empty cells only after closing the file and opening it again.
Sometime, User 2 will get one updated cell and several erased.
Any solution ? ? We're loosing a lot of data like that and finaly had to stop sharing the doc. but this is making our work much more complicated.
This happens only when two or more users have the document opened at the same time.

Many thanks for any help you could provide.

Sorry for my English,

All my best wishes,

Marko

M

Marko

Thanks Kian but it seems to me that the "share workbook" option was made for having multiple users working on the same document and that's why you can see all active user in the options tab of "Tools>share workbook". Also Excel is supposed to solve conflicts in case of changes done by different users on the same cell...
Any other hint ? ?

K

Kian Sharpe

Marko....

So it would seem, I completely forgot about the share workbook option, been
using the Windows version too much.(My apologies)

Have you ensured that the "Allow changes by more than one user at a time"
has been selected?

Other than that I don't think I can offer anything else other than try
looking here

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/help.mspx?target=09fac962-a200-4e8b-a29f-281107
63f1cc1033&clr=99-1-0&ep=8&rtype=2&pos=1&quid=b752f968-34d0-4e8e-8c14-904fad
139aad&CTT=Search&MODE=ct&locale=en-US&usid=b42e7b0f-9e52-4f5d-950d-a44747cc
bcc3

KJS1977

Ask a Question