Certain users fail

M

Mitch Bird

I have inherited a bunch of Access databases. We are using the FE/BE paradigm. Built in security was once attempted but withdrawn. The DBs are now 'protected' by being mde files. We are also using replication. The DM lives on an intranet share and the replicas are 'occasionally connected'. Data flow is from the Replicas to the DM.

We are using Office 2003. The DBs have references to VBA, MS Access 11 Obj Lib, OLE Automation, MS DAO 3.6 (Which all of the code is written to), and MS ADO 2.1 Library (there are no ADO objects explicitly created in the code).

Here are my symptoms:
After some recent changes to tables and forms to normalize the structure the strangest thing happened. The app works great on my machine. On client machines, the app works great if I or one of my colleagues logs in and runs the app but if the user who used to run the app from that machine tries to run it they are presented with obscure error messages that seem to indicate that there are 'reference errors' like 'cannot include a function in a query', or format command failing or form open cancelled.

I have one user who doesn't have the problem ...
unfortunately since the app is mde and for her my changes work just like on my machine; perfectly.

Anyone ever seen this kind of thing before?

I have tried quite a few things ... too long to list them all. About to rebuild the entire app ... FE and BE ... long process.

Open to EggHead suggestions ... :)

Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
SQL Server Stored Procedure without SqlParameter
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...c-56c6c016ab19/sql-server-stored-procedu.aspx

M

Mitch Bird

I have inherited a bunch of Access databases. We are
using the FE/BE paradigm. Built in security was once attempted but withdrawn. The DBs are now 'protected' by
being mde files. We are also using replication. The DM
lives on an intranet share and the replicas
are 'occasionally connected'. Data flow is from the
Replicas to the DM.

We are using Office 2003. The DBs have references to
VBA, MS Access 11 Obj Lib, OLE Automation, MS DAO 3.6
(Which all of the code is written to), and MS ADO 2.1
Library (there are no ADO objects explicitly created in
the code).

Here are my symptoms:

After some recent changes to tables and forms to
normalize the structure the strangest thing happened.
The app works great on my machine. On client machines,
the app works great if I or one of my colleagues logs
in and runs the app but if the user who used to run the
app from that machine tries to run it they are
presented with obscure error messages that seem to
indicate that there are 'reference errors' like 'cannot
include a function in a query', or format command
failing or form open cancelled.

unfortunately the app is mde ... and for her my
changes work just like on my machine; perfectly.

I have tried quite a few things ... too long to list
them all. About to rebuild the entire app ... FE and
BE ... long process.

Mitch Bird wrote:

Certain users fail
28-Jan-10

I have inherited a bunch of Access databases. We are using the FE/BE paradigm. Built in security was once attempted but withdrawn. The DBs are now 'protected' by being mde files. We are also using replication. The DM lives on an intranet share and the replicas are 'occasionally connected'. Data flow is from the Replicas to the DM.

We are using Office 2003. The DBs have references to VBA, MS Access 11 Obj Lib, OLE Automation, MS DAO 3.6 (Which all of the code is written to), and MS ADO 2.1 Library (there are no ADO objects explicitly created in the code).

Here are my symptoms:
After some recent changes to tables and forms to normalize the structure the strangest thing happened. The app works great on my machine. On client machines, the app works great if I or one of my colleagues logs in and runs the app but if the user who used to run the app from that machine tries to run it they are presented with obscure error messages that seem to indicate that there are 'reference errors' like 'cannot include a function in a query', or format command failing or form open cancelled.

unfortunately since the app is mde and for her my changes work just like on my machine; perfectly.

I have tried quite a few things ... too long to list them all. About to rebuild the entire app ... FE and BE ... long process.

Previous Posts In This Thread:

Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
Wise For Visual Studio .NET
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...46-7e626dcb8a86/wise-for-visual-studio-n.aspx

Ask a Question