Change how script is viewed on page.

Reaction score
Hi, new here and not very bright with pc's. I have been writing a book and have just found out that I have been writing it as what is know to printers as 'rag right'. The lines of writing do not go all the way to the right side of the page. (on the ribbon at the top it says 'Align') If I change it using 'justify', I get some sentences spaced with large gaps between the words. How can I rectify this?

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Justification works by adjusting the spaces between words (and sometimes between letters) so both margins align. Large gaps typically mean the first word on the next line is too long to fit the current line. Splitting that word with an appropriately-placed hyphen might improve the appearance.

Reaction score
Thanks macropod, I have tried several things like that but none really work. I'm hoping to send it to the printers/publisher soon and I now know they don't like it written like I've done it. I'll have to keep trying!

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Publishers usually take what you've written and apply their own layouts to it, including fonts, paragraph spacing, indents, etc., so I wouldn't really worry too much about how it looks in Word.

Reaction score
Thanks again, I was getting a bit concerned after all my hard work writing. That's the trouble when you know nothing about how to set stuff out. I shall persevere.

Ask a Question