Change style in document template, but other docs dont update!

Reaction score
Hello

I am getting to grips with Words styles and templates and find them very useful, but very confusing.

If I modify a style in my template, why are the styles in all of my documents that use that template NOT updated.

Am I missing something, or is it not possible?

Surely this is the whole point of templates. Change it once only!

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Updating a Style definition in the template has no effect on any other documents unless those documents:
1. are based on the same template; and
2. have the 'Automatically update document styles' attribute set (see under Developer|Document Template).

Reaction score
Say I am writing a book.
I have 20 chapters
One template.
If I decide to change one style, I have to go to every document and change that Style.
Surely I should just be able to go to the Template and update that style and next time I open each document, the styles will have changed.

I will study your point no 2.

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If I decide to change one style, I have to go to every document and change that Style.
Surely I should just be able to go to the Template and update that style and next time I open each document, the styles will have changed
That's unnecessary if you set the 'Automatically update document styles' attribute in each of those documents
I will study your point no 2.
Please do.

Ask a Question