Change Word printing back to default program settings

Reaction score
Word, page #2 begins printing lower that originally programed, how to set to default?

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Go to Page Layout>Page Setup>Layout and check whether your document is configured for a 'different first page' and/or 'different odd and even pages'. If so, you quite possibly have a first page with a different header/footer than appears on the second page. You need to ensure they're the same. If you still can't figure it out, upload a copy of the file with just the first two pages (delete anything sensitive) and I'll take a look at it.

Reaction score
Thanks for your input macropod. I discovered the same problem exists with Excel. I uploaded an Excel file, followed you instructions & couldn't change a thing. The initial document's bottom margins were starting 4" above the bottom of the page. Change of margin settings were non-repoonsive.

I talked to a HP tech who indicated the drivers, etc., are OK. The problem must be in MICROSOFT'S OFFICE SOFTWARE.

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If the problem were in Microsoft office, I'm sure you wouldn't be the first person to discover it - there are doubtless countless others using the same PC & printer as you who do not have the problem! I see no indication that you have uploaded a file here.

PS: Blaming Microsoft is standard fare for HP...

Reaction score
I'm great with brain surgery, not with computers. Your previous contact was devoid of uploading instructions. Tell me what you require & I'll be happy to accommodate you, Mac.

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You might try clicking on the 'Upload a File' button at the bottom of the posting window...

Reaction score
ALERT, ALERT! From a HP Tech today addressing the paper/printing problem, there's a 'glitch' in the latest version of mac'OS, 10.14.2, Mojave that is the cause of the problem & also effects Excel.
Thanks for your time & input. We'll have to wait for the update to eliminate the problem.
Happy New Year!

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If the update comes from HP, you can be sure the problem wasn't with the Mac OS...

Reaction score
That would stand to reason. The HP tech indicated that they (HP people) are awaiting an update from Microsoft to correct the latest Mojave OS.

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Without placing too fine a point on it, the Mojave OS is an Apple product, not a Microsoft one. Which just goes to show how far off the mark the HP people were in blaming Microsoft.

Reaction score
It's not hard to associate one product with another in today's world. It's complicated and if you are not properly informed, you're probably wrong. Like I said before, "I'm great with brain surgery, not with computers."
One cannot know everything, it's impossible & trying to be perfect could be life threatening, the last perfect man was crucified!

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Conversely, one would expect someone providing technical support at HP to know the difference between Apple and Microsoft; instead, it seems, they simply defaulted to the 'blame Microsoft' mantra that's been reported elsewhere. Do keep in mind that it is HP's responsibility to ensure its products work on whatever Windows & Mac platforms HP claims to support - not for Microsoft or Apple to provide workarounds for HP's faulty implementations. FWIW, the MacOS Mojave 10.14.2 update was released over a month ago.

Ask a Question