Changing Header for End Notes Portion of Word Document

L

litnhop

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

To Anyone Who Might Be Able To Help:

I've created a word document, in Office 2008, that has around 4 pages of end notes. I would like to change the header that is on the end note pages. They currently have the header that corresponds to the previous section of the document. I can't seem to find a way to change the header of the end notes section without changing the header of the previous section

Is there anyway to give a specific header to the end note portion of a document?

Many thanks for the help

C

CyberTaz

When you use the word "section" are you simply referring to a "portion" of
the document or have you actually used Section Breaks? If section breaks are
in place as they should be you ought to be able to just go into the endnotes
section Header then remove the "Link to Previous" check in the Header &
Footer group of the Formatting Palette. You can then replace its content.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

S

Stasha7

Thank you SO much! I was having the same problem and now it's solved and I can change headers in different sections (as in Section Breaks).

L

litnhop

Bob,

Many thanks for your response to my header issues. My apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

Some clarification of my previous post which may be helpful:

First, I have created actual section breaks in the document.

Second, the document is actually my attempt to combine four other word documents that are all part of a larger book project that I'm helping to edit.

Third, when creating the document I combined three book chapters, each with their own set of end notes, and a bibliography.

Fourth, following a link that the author of the book uncovered on this forum (http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/footnotefaqcontent.htm#TextAfterNotes), I made some changes to the document which let me combine all three chapters (keeping pagination and formatting consistent) and place the end notes for all three chapters at the end of the document (rather than at the end of each chapter which is what happened as I tried to combine them).

Fifth, now I'm left with a situation that has the header of the end notes pages linked to the header of the third chapter / section of the document (i.e., the header for the third section is "Chapter 3" and this reappears on all of the end notes pages as well).

I would like to be able to change the header for the end notes section to something like "EndNotes," but I can't do that without changing the header for chapter/section 3. I tried following the advice in your previous post, but can't access the header of the end notes section at all. Every time I click in it (the header section) I get booted up to the header section of the last page of chapter/section 3.

Any thoughts on how to change this? (At this point I'm just considering putting the end notes into an entirely different document that doesn't link them with the body of the document.)

One final note: I did the combining of the original documents via cut and paste, nothing fancy. I'm not sure if this affects how I can manipulate the resulting document. I couldn't figure out how to combine documents using any other method.

Many thanks,

Jason Morris

Ask a Question