Charts/years

V

vixwatts

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) I am trying to make a line chart that shows the number of dance notation systems invented each year between 1495 and 2009. For years at a stretch there are none. Some years there are 1 or 2 of any given type and never more than 4 a year in total. There are 6 different categories of notation system. So, in my data I have columns for each of the notation categories and a row for each year of invention. BUT, I cannot get Excel to accept these dates as just years - it keeps wanting to alter them to month and year. Is there a way around this? It seems important, because I cannot get my chart to plot number of systems in any particular category along a horizontal axis of years.

Any advice? I've been ploughing through the Help items for Excel but none of them cover my issue it seems.

Do I need to add a row for each year when NO systems were invented as well?

Thanks in advance for ANY help, or signposts to places I can read up about this.

V.

Ask a Question