Compatibility Report

E

Emile_Nucho

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

I have been preparing a PowerPoint presentation. In this presentation, I have inserted pictures as well as a few video clips from You Tube.

When I clicked on "Save As" the Compatibility check came up, so I checked it out and it gave me 10 reports which I am really at a loss to understand. For example, the first 7 points say that a font has been substituted (My question is: so?)

The next point says that "QuickTime movies might not play in PowerPoint for Windows". (My question is: what does that have to do with this, if I am using a Mac?)

Then point says that "Windows Media files don't play in PowerPoint for Mac". This makes more sense, though I do not know how to remedy this and into what format a downloaded You Tube video clip has to be converted.

The last point says "Transparency might be degraded". What does this mean.

In any case, the little window also gives me the choice to ignore and save anyway. By the way, when I save the file, it wants to save itself in .ppsx. Is this OK?

Sorry for the long message, but it's the only way I can put it.

Emile

S

Steve Rindsberg

When I clicked on "Save As" the Compatibility check came up, so I checked it out and it gave
me 10 reports which I am really at a loss to understand. For example, the first 7 points say
that a font has been substituted (My question is: so?)

So if you care whether the recipient of the presentation sees it using the same fonts as you
chose, you care. If not, not. Bear in mind that font substitutions can cause lines to break
differently, text to run off the page unexpectedly and so on.
The next point says that "QuickTime movies might not play in PowerPoint for Windows". (My
question is: what does that have to do with this, if I am using a Mac?)

If the presentation will never see the inside of a Windows box, it's irrelevant. Ignore it.

If the presentation NEEDS to play properly on Windows computers, you now know in advance that
there'll be problems. Better to learn now than later, or at least that's the theory the compat.
report works on.
Then point says that "Windows Media files don't play in PowerPoint for Mac". This makes more
sense, though I do not know how to remedy this and into what format a downloaded You Tube video
clip has to be converted.

There's a utility for converting Windows Media files that's been mentioned here a time or
twelve. A newsgroup search should turn it up.
The last point says "Transparency might be degraded". What does this mean.

Earlier Windows and Mac PPT versions didn't support variable transparency, only a kind of on/off
type of transparency. The results can be ugly.
In any case, the little window also gives me the choice to ignore and save anyway.

Right ... the report's just saying "Here are areas that might cause trouble". It's up to you to
cancel, fix the possible problems and save again or ignore them and just save. It's rare enough
that software lets the human pretend to know best. Enjoy it! ;-)
By the way, when I save the file, it wants to save itself in .ppsx. Is this OK?

That depends ... are you going to play the presentation back on your own computer or hand it off
to others? What do you want to have happen when they doubleclick the icon? Will they have PPT
2007/PPT 2008 or an earlier version?
Sorry for the long message, but it's the only way I can put it.

Please don't be! Long and detailed is SO much easier to answer than short and missing half the
info we need.

E

Emile_Nucho

Thank you for the help. I will search around for that utility you mentioned.

Emile

Ask a Question