Complex Count Query

Reaction score
I have run up against a really complex count query that has driven me entirely nuts and have searched this forum (and others) looking for a solution, but can't find an answer. It doesn't help that I haven't worked in Access in 7 years and I barely remember how to do anything, nor am I familiar with Access 2013.

I am trying to create a database that allows me to import large amounts of complex data from excel, breaks it down, then creates a simple count for each category. (note that the data is NOT mine and therefore I can't easily manipulate it)

This is what I want, I have essentially 5 categories in the count: NONE, IN-PROGRESS, OVERDUE, OVERDUE/IN-PROGRESS, and a date something was completed. I have created a count that counts each date as itself plus each of the other items.

My current output looks something like this:
Status --------------- CountOfStat
2014/09/19 ---------- 1
2014/09/05 ---------- 2
2014/10/24 ---------- 6
2014/11/09 ---------- 1
NONE ---------------- 45
IN-PROGRESS ---- 15

What I need is a count query that will essentially lump all of the dates into a category called "COMPLETE", giving me 5 categories, not the potential 365 days of dates (after 1 year, the date will change to OVERDUE).

The results should look like this:
Status --------------- CountOfStat
COMPLETE -------- 10
NONE ---------------- 45
IN-PROGRESS ---- 15

How do I do this?

Ask a Question