Conditional Pagebreaks in Mailmerge

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to mailmerge and I'm trying to print a documents and add a Pagebreak under program control.
I tried writing the Formfeed character (ascii "12") into the document but this has no effect.

I read elsewhere that I can add something like the below in the template:

{IF {Mergefield Pagebreak} = "True" "pagebreak here"}

I actually typed this into the "Field code":
IF {MERGEFIELD Pagebreak} = "True" "x" ""

Hoping that I'd be able to "Inset a pagebreak" manually hoping that on on returning to the document I'd see an "x" that I could replace with a pagebreak, but instead I see
"Pagebreak}"

no longer <<Pagebreak>> as it was when it was a simple "mergeField"

Perhasp all I need is some tuition in creating merge templates...so can either somebody tell me where to go, or what to do?

Thanks

Reaction score
OK, managed to do this by playing with the syntax a little....and just in case somebody else comes along with the same level of knowledge & a similar requirement...

In the program, I write either a null or a space into the mergefield.

In the template, all curly brackets created by typing Ctrl F9.
Codes were made visible/invisible by toggling via Alt F9).

I added the Mergefield "Pagebreak" with the following:

{MERGEFIELD Pagebreak}

and the following code compares the mergefield "Pagebreak" with a space (" ") & if it finds it, prints a formfeed (QUOTE 12) else prints NULL - i.e. Syntax: IF condition truechar falsechar:

{IF {MERGEFIELD Pagebreak} = " " "{QUOTE 12}" ""}

I chose to print the formfeed depending on a value of space or null because I needed a non-printing character...perhaps I could have defined a field so that it doesn't print in any case?

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Using {QUOTE 12} is fairly conventional, though you could insert an actual page break or next page section break into your field code instead. FWIW, your existing field code could be reduced to:
{IF{MERGEFIELD Pagebreak}= " " {QUOTE 12}}
Without knowing more about why you're using such a field, though, it's impossible to advise more on your 'perhaps I could have defined a field so that it doesn't print in any case' question.

Ask a Question