Construct table from selected rows

Reaction score
Excel 16 / Win 10
I have a worksheet of my pharmacy data, like:
Name | # | Dose | Date | etc.​
Just outside of the table I have added a column to check off refills that I need, by entering "x." Next to that are columns to copy needed data for each checked item: Name | #| Date. Formulas in these columns enter the items from the worksheet if the item is checked. The object is to create a drugs shopping list. Typical formula: =IF($N5="x",B5,"").

This works pretty well but I'd like to condense the resulting table to remove empty lines. What's a good way to do this?
tcebob

Reaction score
Ah. So that's what a pivot table does. I will look it up and try it. Many thanks.
tcebob

Reaction score
There are so many ways to use a pivot table - this would be just one.

Select the range where your information is stored and click insert pivot table. I would use your "x" column as a filter and select only the rows that have an "x". Then I would put your drug name in the rows.

If you need any help let me know. Once you play around with the pivot table I think you'll really like them - they can make getting information very fast.
-Amy

Ask a Question