Convert presentation to movie

S

SugarAndSpice

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Power PC

My slide show works perfectly in PowerPoint 2004. The transitions and effects work great.

However, when I "make a move" I lose all the transitions and effects. I do get compatibility notices that things will not work in earlier versions of PowerPoint. Why does that matter? I am making movie!

Is there a way to resolve this issue in 2004 or would an upgrade to 2008 be the only solution?

S

SugarAndSpice

I did a bit more reading and finally discovered that Microsoft has a different definition of movie than most citizens of Earth. In order to 'make a movie' I have to purchase another program to accomplish that task.

J

Jim Gordon MVP

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Power PC

My slide show works perfectly in PowerPoint 2004. The transitions and effects work great.

However, when I "make a move" I lose all the transitions and effects. I do get compatibility notices that things will not work in earlier versions of PowerPoint. Why does that matter? I am making movie!

Is there a way to resolve this issue in 2004 or would an upgrade to 2008 be the only solution?

Hi,

An upgrade to 2008 is most definitely not a solution to this problem.
PowerPoint 2008 does not work as well at making movies as 2004, and you
don't sound particularly impressed by the feature in 2004.

PowerPoint's help does explain what will be lost when you use the File >
Save As Movie, or File > Make Movie feature. In 2004 most transitions
should be kept, but animations may change or be lost.

The best way to capture a slide show is to use SnapZProX by Ambrosia. It
will capture every aspect of your show including all transitions,
animations, and audio. To use SnapZProX you have to run your
presentation "in a window" as opposed to full screen. To tell PowerPoint
to run the show in a window use Slide Show > Set Up Show > Browsed by an
Individual (Window).

-Jim

S

SugarAndSpice

Thanks for the info but ...

If I don't capture the PPT window exactly, it would have to be edited to remove any unwanted bits and pieces. I am assuming Quick Time would do that if I had the purchased version which I do not. I would have to purchase SnapZProX and Quick Time. Then I would have to convert it to MPEG for TV viewing.

My best bet is to transfer it to a PC (it doesn't matter what version of PPT is on the computers) and use a program called Acoolsoft PPT2Video Converter (shame it's not available for the mac) which does everything automatically. It will convert the PPT file to a great variety of formats, mpeg2, mpeg1, mp4, avi, wmv, mov, flv and more. Plus it has 3 different ratios. There is a cost but it is still cheaper, easier and faster than the options available for the Mac.

J

Jim Gordon MVP

Thanks for the info but ...

If I don't capture the PPT window exactly, it would have to be edited to remove any unwanted bits and pieces.
True, but SnapZpro's interface lets you position the section area easily
and precisely.

I am assuming Quick Time would do that if I had the purchased version
which I do not.
QuickTime Pro can edit. iMovie can edit, too. Almost everyone has iMovie.

I would have to purchase SnapZProX and Quick Time.
Yes - SnapZPro folks have to eat, too. And they're very nice at
Ambrosia. Compare their price the comparable Windows product: Camtasia.
You don't have to purchase QTPro if you already have iMovie.

Then I would have to convert it to MPEG for TV viewing.
iDVD has OneStepDVD, which is fast and easy.
My best bet is to transfer it to a PC (it doesn't matter what version of PPT is on the computers) and use a program called Acoolsoft PPT2Video Converter (shame it's not available for the mac) which does everything automatically. It will convert the PPT file to a great variety of formats, mpeg2, mpeg1, mp4, avi, wmv, mov, flv and more. Plus it has 3 different ratios. There is a cost but it is still cheaper, easier and faster than the options available for the Mac.
Well, you could spend money for that software, but
http://www.mediaconverter.org/ does an excellent job and converts it
for free.

I bought iLife09 and think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I
think you're really missing out if you don't have it. It has the latest
iMovie and iDVD plus GarageBand, which will keep you addicted to your
computer forever. If you're thinking about QTPro, spring for iLife instead.
http://www.apple.com/ilife/

Since I don't know what software you already own, please don't be mad at
me if I suggest some ways to spend your money.

-Jim

Ask a Question