copying number sequence

M

mckenzie

Version: 2008 hi

I'm sure in the old days when I was a frequent Excel user I was able to enter a number sequence in cells of one column and then copy and paste special in some way and the sequence of numbers would be repeated in the column cells that i had specified. ie, I have entered so far manually 45, 46, 47, 48 and i want to be able to copy those 4 cells, then highlight the next 200 cells and the numbers from 50 to 250 will appear underneath my original 4. Please can anyone tell me how to do this? Many thanks in advance. Mckenzie

T

TheRedOak

Never knew a way to copy and paste directly like you state. But if you enter 45 in cell A1 and A1 + 1 in cell A2, then you can just copy cell A2 and paste into all your highlighted cells as long as the cells are contiguous below cell A2.

Alternatively you can enter 45 and 46 in cells A1 and A2 and then highlight both cells and drag the handle down as many rows as you want. If you entered 45 and 47 then it would skip by 2's, etc.

M

mckenzie

thank you very much. I remembered the highlight and drag the corner option very late last night in the end but still good to hear the other option too. Thanks.

J

JE McGimpsey

Version: 2008

hi <br><br>I'm sure in the old days when I was a frequent Excel user I was
able to enter a number sequence in cells of one column and then copy and
paste special in some way and the sequence of numbers would be repeated in
the column cells that i had specified. ie, I have entered so far manually
45, 46, 47, 48 and i want to be able to copy those 4 cells, then highlight
the next 200 cells and the numbers from 50 to 250 will appear underneath my
original 4. Please can anyone tell me how to do this? Many thanks in
advance. Mckenzie

One way:

Copy your cells. With the mouse, grab the fill handle (lower right
corner of the bottom cell, and drag down.

Ask a Question