'could not open macro storage' vs not being an Administrator under Win2003

J

Jones Abramoff

I have installed word 97 in win2003. If the user is in the administrators group, it works OK. If it is not, i receive the error message when I press ALT+F11.

The same message occurs if I try do add a document to a word instance created by an activexdll.

This user has full control access to all the HD.

I have already tried to rename NORMAL.DOT but it didn't worked.

The server is being run as terminal server in application mode.

C

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi =?Utf-8?B?Sm9uZXMgQWJyYW1vZmY=?=,

1. This question doesn't belong in a VBA group; it's a setup and not a developer
question. Better place to ask would be word.setup.networking

2. You have to realize that Word 97 was NOT designed to work in a modern network
environment. It doesn't even support separate user profiles, really. Networking and
security have changed a lot in the eight/nine years since Word 97 was developed.

The biggest issue one runs into is permissions: if the user isn't logged in as an
administrator, all kinds of Registry entries are needed in order to provide the necessary
permissions. Trying to use Spell check is a classic example that's documented in the
Knowledge Base.

I suggest you try asking in that other newsgroup, and try searching the Knowledge Base
(either on microsoft.com or via the Google search engine) for issues about Word 97 on
WinXP, on Terminal Server and/or under Win2003.
I have installed word 97 in win2003. If the user is in the administrators group, it
works OK. If it is not, i receive the error message when I press ALT+F11.
The same message occurs if I try do add a document to a word instance created by an activexdll.

This user has full control access to all the HD.

I have already tried to rename NORMAL.DOT but it didn't worked.

The server is being run as terminal server in application mode.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Sep 30 2003)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in the
newsgroup and not by e-mail :)

Ask a Question