!!CRAZY!! Outgoing mail attachment problem

S

studiophi

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel
Email Client: pop

Dear List. If I hadn't seen this I wouldn't believe it, and I've been around computers for over 20 yrs.

I had 2 different emails, both with pdf attachments.
Message A going to 1 single recipient, with attachment A.
Message B going to multiple BCC recipients, containing attachments B, C, D.

Both messages were sent at the same time.
Today one of the recipients on the BCC list (message B) calls in and tells us that he has received attachment A (instead of C!!), along with B and D.

A quick doublecheck confirms the worst. All the BCC recipients received the *wrong attachment*, i.e. "A", instead of "C".

I am curently looking at my outbox. The sent message shows attachment "C"... but if I forward that mail to my gmail acct...what I get is the wrong attachment.

What I am noticing is that if I go back to the outgoing BCC message and I try to view the attachment that wasn't received by the BCC recipients, I get the following error message:
"Adobe Reader could not open 'nameoffile.pdf' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded)."

What gives? To say that I'm shocked is to say the least (also because the error is a PR nightmare).

Thank you for any tip, hint, explanation and idea on how to avoid an incident like this in the future.

Paul

D

Diane Ross

Thank you for any tip, hint, explanation and idea on how to avoid an incident
like this in the future.

I have seen this reported a couple of times, but it is rare. I forwarded you
message to the developer and Hui Nee might contact you off list.

Sorry, I don't have an answer for you other than when sending mail with
attachments, do one send per connection just to be safe. This is totally
unacceptable.

Ask a Question