creating new template - change default heading style

Reaction score
Hi!
I try to create a new template and want to change the default fonts without changing all the styles manually. I managed to get this done for the +standard style that affects body text and most normal size text. But I can't find where I can change the default heading style (+heading) that affects all headings, titles...
Where is this hidden?
Using office 2019 non online.
Thank you for helping!

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Ordinarily, if you change the fonts in Word's Normal Style, the other Styles (which are ultimately all based on that one) will likewise update; this usually only doesn't happen if someone has already changed the font for some of those other Styles.

Reaction score
Unfortunately this doesn't work.
I went back made a copy of Normal.dotm and opened this.
Looking at the styles, Calibri is set as standard font, see image one.
I pressed Ctrl-D changed the font to TexGyreHeroes and clicked left bottom to make it standard, image two
This changes the standard font correctly to TexGyreHeroes, but for headings it gets overridden by the +Überschriften (+heading) setting (Calibri Light) which I cannot find where to change. I went through the xml files - but in styles.xml only TexGyreHeroes is set as a font. If I search for Calibri Light in the other files (like theme.xml) I end up with a broken docx in the end.
image one: https://imgur.com/a/IRw5lwE
image two: https://imgur.com/a/0rfTCsM
image three: https://imgur.com/a/ksIUODW

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It may be that someone has editing one or more Heading Styles in your Normal.dotm - which is exactly the cisumstance in which I said modifying the Normal Style wouldn't work. In that case, you'll need to modify the font in the Heading 1 Style, at least.

Reaction score
Just to make sure nobody messed with my Normal.dotm I reinstalled the whole virtualmachine - so completely virgin OS and Office install. The problem is still exactly the same - but I think we talk different things:

I can change the the body font/standard font/+Body font without any problem. What I can't change - maybe because I do not know where, is +Headings so all headings, titles... get a different font from +Body and I do not have to go through all of them manually.

In the picture you can see that Word defines Heading1 style with the default font (which I can change) but then overwrites this with the +Headings setting. I can change the default font all I want - the +Headings font stays the same...
And I cannot figure out where to change +Headings.

Attachments

• 2019-01-03-201916_1920x1080_scrot.png
    2019-01-03-201916_1920x1080_scrot.png
    134.5 KB · Views: 199

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You don't change +Headings - you modify the font name in the Style just as you did for the Normal Style.

Reaction score
You don't change +Headings - you modify the font name in the Style just as you did for the Normal Style.
I think I don't get it. I changed the style for Heading1, that worked. But now I have to do the same to Heading2 Heading 3 Heading4 and many more styles...
There must be an easier way to change all styles that rely on +Headings at once.

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Whether that is so (and there's only 9 of them) depends on what dependencies there are between them.

Ask a Question