Custom templates

D

Deb_Kelly

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Intel

We want to make a company-themed Ppt template with 3 different (but similar) custom master slide backgrounds to choose from (a title page and two others that will be used depending on content.) This template will be uploaded to our Website to be downloaded and used by our sales-force, nationwide. It will be set up on a Mac (v.2008) but used by salespeople on PCs (may have older versions of the software.)

We want the Ppt presentations to bear our new corporate look, so I need to totally customize it. So far, I've set up a template and placed the headlines where I'd like them but they keep moving back to the original position when I open the template after I've saved it. Also, some of the copy I've set up, moves back or changes size.

Also, since our salespeople like to "do their own thing" we want to remove or lock all other themes (lest they decide to change a font or color) while still allowing them to change content, to add photos or change copy.

I've search books, "Help" and these forums and can't find the answers...anyone got any ideas?

H

haylo

That's a long and complicated question. Regarding the creation of the template, you might want to engage someone who does this kind of thing professionally. If you have good mock-ups of what you're after, it would take about a day to properly prepare some useable templates. There isn't enough info in your question to fully understand what you're doing wrong

Regarding locking down the themes. Unless you can access everyone's installs of powerpoint then you won't be able to remove the default themes. You certainly can't stop people from changing fonts, colours, etc...

A bit of education around why the templates exist and how they can help the sales people is probably the best course of action...

Hope this is useful...

J

Jim Gordon MVP

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Intel

We want to make a company-themed Ppt template with 3 different (but similar) custom master slide backgrounds to choose from (a title page and two others that will be used depending on content.) This template will be uploaded to our Website to be downloaded and used by our sales-force, nationwide. It will be set up on a Mac (v.2008) but used by salespeople on PCs (may have older versions of the software.)

We want the Ppt presentations to bear our new corporate look, so I need to totally customize it. So far, I've set up a template and placed the headlines where I'd like them but they keep moving back to the original position when I open the template after I've saved it. Also, some of the copy I've set up, moves back or changes size.

Also, since our salespeople like to "do their own thing" we want to remove or lock all other themes (lest they decide to change a font or color) while still allowing them to change content, to add photos or change copy.

I've search books, "Help" and these forums and can't find the answers...anyone got any ideas?

Hi Deb,

When making your templates, here are some tips:

When choosing fonts, in the Formatting Palette be sure to explore the
first option: Font collections and choose Windows Compatible Fonts.

There's a large difference between the files from Office 2007 and 2008
and earlier versions of Mac or PC PowerPoint. If consistency is
important, I'd make them in 2008, but use Save As and choose the old
..pot template format. Once everyone is on PowerPoint 2007, 2008, or 2010
then switch to the new format.

On the other hand, multiple masters and their slide layouts and office
themes are not supported in the old format. You're going to have to make
some decisions about what versions you want to support.

You could make two versions - one for 2004, 2003, and earlier Mac and
Windows users, and another for 2007, 2008, and 2010 users having more
features.

-Jim

S

Steve Rindsberg

We want to make a company-themed Ppt template with 3 different (but similar) custom
master slide backgrounds to choose from (a title page and two others that will be used
depending on content.) This template will be uploaded to our Website to be downloaded and
used by our sales-force, nationwide. It will be set up on a Mac (v.2008) but used by
salespeople on PCs (may have older versions of the software.)

There are several failure points there. It's generally best to produce
templates/presentations for Windows PPT users ON a Windows version of PowerPoint, or at
least to finalize your work there (this could certainly be running under Parallels or the
like on your Mac, of course).

But moving templates/presentations between Office 2008/2007 and prior versions is just
asking for pain. And the request won't be denied. <g>

You'll want to produce separate templates for the PPT 2007 and 97-2003 users, ideally on
separate versions of PPT.

If the client is serious about wanting the users to be able to easily use your template and
being able to at least minimally control what the users do with it, it's best done with an
add-in. We have one designed for just this sort of thing, highly customizable and it
solves the PPT 2007 vs earlier version problem. email steve at-sign pptools dot com if
you'd like more information. I'm sure there are other similar tools available; a google
search may turn them up.

We want the Ppt presentations to bear our new corporate look, so I need to totally
customize it. So far, I've set up a template and placed the headlines where I'd like them
but they keep moving back to the original position when I open the template after I've
saved it. Also, some of the copy I've set up, moves back or changes size.
Also, since our salespeople like to "do their own thing" we want to remove or lock all
other themes (lest they decide to change a font or color) while still allowing them to
change content, to add photos or change copy.
I've search books, "Help" and these forums and can't find the answers...anyone got any
ideas?

Ask a Question