DBF files not linking Pls Help

S

Seth Garfinkel

Hi all

I have not encountered this one before and am looking for some help. I am linking to some ACT! (argh) databases from within Office 2003. One of them actually has the extension DBF, while the others have other extensions such as .edb. Access will happily link all of them, but when I go to open the linked table only the one that actually has the correct database linked is the original DBF. For example, the file with the .EDB extension which says it linked holds the data for the DBF file (the first one) as do all the other linkings to DBF files with different extensions. If I change the other files extensions to DBF they link correctly, so there is no problem with the files themselves. My question is if there is a way to have access recognize these other files as DBF and link them correctly. Just as an asside, this functionality worked correctly in Office 97, we have only noticed the problem since upgrading to Office 2003. Has something changed to prevent this from working? I have been looking at the registry to see if there is an area where I can add these other file extensions for access to recognize, but while I have a few possible candidates, I would like to see if anyone else has encountered and fixed this particular issue. I do not have the option to just change the files in question to DBF, ACT would certainly not like that

Thanks for any help on this..

S

Seth Garfinkel

Any takers? Please help, I am having no luck

----- Seth Garfinkel wrote: ----

Hi all

I have not encountered this one before and am looking for some help. I am linking to some ACT! (argh) databases from within Office 2003. One of them actually has the extension DBF, while the others have other extensions such as .edb. Access will happily link all of them, but when I go to open the linked table only the one that actually has the correct database linked is the original DBF. For example, the file with the .EDB extension which says it linked holds the data for the DBF file (the first one) as do all the other linkings to DBF files with different extensions. If I change the other files extensions to DBF they link correctly, so there is no problem with the files themselves. My question is if there is a way to have access recognize these other files as DBF and link them correctly. Just as an asside, this functionality worked correctly in Office 97, we have only noticed the problem since upgrading to Office 2003. Has something changed to prevent this from working? I have been looking at the registry to see if there is an area where I can add these other file extensions for access to recognize, but while I have a few possible candidates, I would like to see if anyone else has encountered and fixed this particular issue. I do not have the option to just change the files in question to DBF, ACT would certainly not like that

Thanks for any help on this..

Ask a Question