Defining variables as row numbers

Reaction score
I'm working with a fairly detailed schedule and I'd like to reference several of the milestones in say rows 314, 415 and 591 as variables. As I don't seem to be able to remember the row numbers for predecessors, I'd like to name them something like SRR, PDR and CDR.

Instead of referencing a task in the schedule that is supposed to start 45 days prior to PDR, for instance, I'd write PDRss-45 edays instead of 415ss-45 edays.

Can you do something like this? I read somewhere about defining global variables in the preferences, but I'm using 2013 and can't seem to find that in the File menu.

Thanks,

Matt

Reaction score
My suggestion would be to use a custom text field and label the row #s that you want to call SRR, PDR and CDR that way. I use custom text fields for labeling critical path and near crit path or multiple paths CP1, CP2, etc. Then you just filter on the column for the text field you created to quickly find the tasks you want to label differently.

Or you could just flag the specific tasks and put that info in the notes and make the flag unique so you know what tasks are what, but Id put something in notes somewhere like green = srr, blue =PDR, and Red= Crit Design Review so you know which ones are which.

Hope that helped. I don't know about global variables but im going to research it now.

Ask a Question