Defining x-axis values NOT labels in column charts ExCel 2008

M

Mike_Tatham

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

Hi,

I'm relatively new to ExCel 2008 but have good experience with the other versions and this problem has me stumped:

I want to create a column chart of data where the x-axis values are treated as numerical values and NOT as labels. As an example x-axis values go from -400 to +200 at intervals of 10, and the y-axis data values vary from 0 to +150 (its a histogram).

If I highlight the two columns and plot a column chart, ExCel 2008 plots them both as Y data series on a scale from 1 to 60 (I have 60 points). Now if I use an XY scatter plot it does what I want fine (x-axis as values), but if I change this chart to a column chart, the x-values are now called 'labels' and are not treated as numbers but words.

Normally it wouldn't bother me, but I want to create a compound chart with XY scatter data and column data shown together, and this problem is screwing it up.

Any ideas boffins?

Thanks

Mike

P.S. My bet is that this is a problem with 2008 version and there is no solution. Please prove me wrong someone!

Ask a Question