digital certificates in Office 2008 for Mac


M

Manuel Silva

Dear Sir:

My question is about digital certificates in Office 2008 for Mac.

Is possible sign a Office for Mac document whit a digital certificate ?

Digitally signing a document has many benefits. A digital signature on a
file is an electronic, cryptographic-based, secure stamp of authentication.
When you add a digital signature to a document, you are supplying a
verifiable signature that can vouch for the authenticity and integrity of the
file. The certificate used to create this signature identifies the signer.
Readers of your document can be assured of the document creator's identity
and that the document has not been altered since it was created.

This is very, very important. See this link:

<http://www.cartaodocidadao.pt/index.php?lang=en>

How to digitally sign a Office for Mac document whit my Citizen’s Card ?

The digitally signing is very, very important. The countries in Europe go to
the Personal Identity Card.

See:

http://eid.belgium.be/fr_BE/fed_ict/imported_content_eid/pdf/eID-FR-MacOSXKeyChain.pdf

http://www.cartaodecidadao.pt/index.php?lang=en

http://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/

Mac user d`ont have a Office whit digitally signing. Office Mac 2008 d`ont
support this ?

Best Regards

Manuel Silva

Portugal
 
Ad

Advertisements

W

William Smith [MVP]

Manuel said:
My question is about digital certificates in Office 2008 for Mac.

Is possible sign a Office for Mac document whit a digital certificate ?

Digitally signing a document has many benefits. A digital signature on a
file is an electronic, cryptographic-based, secure stamp of authentication.
When you add a digital signature to a document, you are supplying a
verifiable signature that can vouch for the authenticity and integrity of the
file. The certificate used to create this signature identifies the signer.
Readers of your document can be assured of the document creator's identity
and that the document has not been altered since it was created.

Hi Manuel!

Office for Windows can support this type of digital security but Office
for Mac does not have this feature.

Microsoft Entourage can use digital certificates and you can send
encrypted and digitally signed mail messages. However, Excel, PowerPoint
and Word documents can not themselves be digitally signed (that I've seen).

Your options would be to purchase an E-mail certificate so that you can
prove authenticity or purchase any of the many encryption applications
available for the Mac that can encrypt your documents with a private key.

Please be sure to let Microsoft know you'd like to see this feature in
future versions by using the Help --> Send Feedback mechanism in any
Office application.

Hope this helps!

--

bill

Entourage Help Page <http://entourage.mvps.org/>
Entourage Help Blog <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/>
YouTalk <http://nine.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/youtalk>
Twitter: follow <http://twitter.com/meck>
 
J

Jim Gordon MVP

Manuel said:
Dear Sir:

My question is about digital certificates in Office 2008 for Mac.

Is possible sign a Office for Mac document whit a digital certificate ?

Digitally signing a document has many benefits. A digital signature on a
file is an electronic, cryptographic-based, secure stamp of authentication.
When you add a digital signature to a document, you are supplying a
verifiable signature that can vouch for the authenticity and integrity of the
file. The certificate used to create this signature identifies the signer.
Readers of your document can be assured of the document creator's identity
and that the document has not been altered since it was created.

This is very, very important. See this link:

<http://www.cartaodocidadao.pt/index.php?lang=en>

How to digitally sign a Office for Mac document whit my Citizen’s Card ?

The digitally signing is very, very important. The countries in Europe go to
the Personal Identity Card.

See:

http://eid.belgium.be/fr_BE/fed_ict/imported_content_eid/pdf/eID-FR-MacOSXKeyChain.pdf

http://www.cartaodecidadao.pt/index.php?lang=en

http://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/

Mac user d`ont have a Office whit digitally signing. Office Mac 2008 d`ont
support this ?

Best Regards

Manuel Silva

Portugal

Hi Manuel,

Mac Office supports digital signing and encrypting of all documents,
whether office or not, using Entourage and digital certificates. These
certificates are readily available for free (if you're willing to go
through a lot of steps) or for a low price (about $20 US) from
verification services such as Versign and Thawte.

Mac Office does not support digital certificates for signing code
(visual basic for applications code, specifically). This kind of
certificate is more expensive ($1,000 US) and is rarely used, as it is
an expensive way to assure that the code is from who it says it is. Few
organizations need this sort of certificate.

Almost all of the certificates you are likely to encounter are the email
signing kind, which are supported.

-Jim

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

MVPs are independent experts who are not affiliated with Microsoft.


Visit my blog
http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-i7JMeio7cqvhotIUwCzaJWq9
 
C

Corentin Cras-Méneur

Jim Gordon MVP said:
Hi Manuel,

Mac Office supports digital signing and encrypting of all documents,
whether office or not, using Entourage and digital certificates.

That's a little misleading (not wrong, but it gives a false
impression).... The e-mail (and it's attachment) will be signed, but as
soon as the attachment is saved on the Mac, the copy you have there has
no trace of the digital signature.
If you pass it along and send it to someone else afterwards, it won;t be
signed either.

So in short, you can send digitally signed (and encrypted) e-mails with
Entourage (or Mail), but the file itself is not digitally signed.

Corentin
 
Ad

Advertisements

M

Manuel Silva

Dear Sir.

Thanks for responses.

"The e-mail (and it's attachment) will be signed, but as
soon as the attachment is saved on the Mac, the copy you have there has
no trace of the digital signature. "

Yes ! And Entourge Mac support digital signing and encrypting.

The problem is Word and Excel for Mac.

My question is about digital certificates in Office 2008 for Mac in Word and
Excel

Is possible sign a Office Word or Excel Mac document whit a digital
certificate ?

MacBU have digital signatures in roadmap for Mac Word and Excel ?


Thanks

Manuel silva

PS:

See this:
http://eid.belgium.be/fr/binaries/eID-FR-MSOffice_tcm146-9782.pdf
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top