Display sender email address in Inbox view

• Thread starter AdamWantsToSeeEmailAddress
  • Start date
A

AdamWantsToSeeEmailAddress

Using outlook from officeXP. It would appear NONE of the fields/columns i can add to the inbox view will show the sender's email address. I sure would like to see a sender email address column.

And before it is even suggested, the sender's name IS NOT what I'm looking for. Sender email address.

R

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Have you tried using field chooser to add the Email field to the view?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
AdamWantsToSeeEmailAddress said:
Using outlook from officeXP. It would appear NONE of the fields/columns i
can add to the inbox view will show the sender's email address. I sure would
like to see a sender email address column.
And before it is even suggested, the sender's name IS NOT what I'm looking
for. Sender email address.

A

That would be great... if it existed. Definitely let me know if I'm just blind and can't find the right field. (Maybe its called 'lovespam' or something equally obscure?)

But, yes, I've tried adding almost every possible mail field and haven't found ONE that contains the sender's email address.

Please tell me i'm just blind.

----- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote: -----

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Using outlook from officeXP. It would appear NONE of the fields/columns i
like to see a sender email address column.for. Sender email address.

A

I appreciate your efforts to help but you really should try reading oh say... ANYTHING I posted

the subject explicitly states "Inbox view
the post body explicitly states "inbox view" AND "I sure would like to see a sender email address column." (Column as in a verical list of email addresseses of the sender relevant to the current email of the row)

I did NOT say anything about creating a new email

This kind of help only spawns confusion so please refrain from "helping" unless you read the the entire (albeit short) posting

----- habadia wrote: ----

Open a new e-mail. select view/from field then select your name from the list.

R

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

If you're trying to display the email field of the sender, that's determined
by the sender, not the recipient. You would have to look in the header to
get the actual email address.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
That would be great... if it existed. Definitely let me know if I'm just
blind and can't find the right field. (Maybe its called 'lovespam' or
something equally obscure?)
But, yes, I've tried adding almost every possible mail field and haven't
found ONE that contains the sender's email address.
Please tell me i'm just blind.

----- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote: -----

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
message news:D[email protected]...
Using outlook from officeXP. It would appear NONE of the
fields/columns i
like to see a sender email address column. looking
for. Sender email address.

N

Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook]

Sue Mosher wrote a great article explaining how to do
this. Showing the Sender's Email Address:
http://www.win2000mag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=8630

--
Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook]

message I appreciate your efforts to help but you really should try reading oh
say... ANYTHING I posted.

the subject explicitly states "Inbox view"
the post body explicitly states "inbox view" AND "I sure would like to see a
sender email address column." (Column as in a verical list of email
addresseses of the sender relevant to the current email of the row).

I did NOT say anything about creating a new email.

This kind of help only spawns confusion so please refrain from "helping"
unless you read the the entire (albeit short) posting.

----- habadia wrote: -----

Open a new e-mail. select view/from field then select your name from
the list.

A

To sum up a solution... You have to do actual programming tasks to get the email address displayed in a program that was made to handle email (and more). I don't even know where to begin as to how absolutely ridiculous it is that Microsoft could have failed in such manner. It would seem you can get most other fields about an email. You just can't get the physical email addresses displayed in views (to or from). I am never one to believe conspiracy theories but, this seems DELIBERATE! Was Microsoft payed by a spam consortium to not display such data

I would love to hear of any other products out there that work like outlook (email, calendering, tasks, etc.) Are there any? Is Star Office a viable competitor? Can they display a simple email address

I attempted to do as Sue's article suggested. I could not get the MAPI references to work at all. It may have something to do with that I'm doing this task on W2K3 and using the CDOEX.dll (which depricated support for MAPI i'm guessing?) I noticed that article was published in JUNE 2000! and people are still trying to get email addresses displayed judging by the comments! Way to be responsive to consumer need MS! (Four years and how many generations later the problem still exists). It turns out there is a very nice product out there meant to address some of these issues called, funny enough, OUTLOOK REDEMPTION. I was able to do it in a few lines of code. I would post the solution here but, I would rather MS users get angry enough to want a better/different product. (If your reading this and still need a solution, google "OUTLOOK REDEMPTION" and do the legwork)

S

suzie

I have browse the article and have install CDO..the
problem is I need to add script in Outlook VBA.
What is Outlook VBA and how I'm going to access it?
TQ..

A

ALT+F11 will bring up the VBA IDE

From the sound of things, you've never done VBA? Are you sure you want to start here? You could potentially really mess up you emails and disable some required security to prevent viruses

Your probably gonna have real problems doing it based upon Sue Mosher's _very_old_ article (security prompts are going to nag you excessively using the standard outlook objects). I'd highly suggest using OUTLOOK REDEMPTION as stated on previous post. Pay their license fee, get their support, and get them to step you through the process

Follow up by liberally badmouthing Outlook for being incapable of displaying an email address... even though its an email program.... it helps release the frustration you will face

Maybe the next version of Word won't allow you to edit text

----- suzie wrote: ----

I have browse the article and have install CDO..the
problem is I need to add script in Outlook VBA
What is Outlook VBA and how I'm going to access it
TQ.

Reaction score
Like you, I thought I must be blind or missing something obvious, but apparently it's just Microsoft doing what they do best.

I normally use the Mail.app on a Mac but at my new job they unfortunately use Outlook and I cannot stand NOT being able to simply see the %(#@+! EMAIL ADDRESS of the person who is emailing me. Really, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot??

Using outlook from officeXP. It would appear NONE of the fields/columns i can add to the inbox view will show the sender's email address. I sure would like to see a sender email address column.

And before it is even suggested, the sender's name IS NOT what I'm looking for. Sender email address.

Ask a Question