Dynamic Chart Scaling Error

R

robbbo

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have finally figured out how to dynamically scale a chart that links to a table that can change by have the trailing cells empty.

The Table has two rows and 16 columns C6:R6 are dates and C7:R7 are numbers. When any of the cells at the end of the table are blank such as Q6 and R6 being blank I want the chart to only plot 14 data points. I should add C6:R7 are all formulas that reference another place in the work book.

That I did is define names Where the name "NBCL" is =OFFSET(Sheet1!$C$7,0,0,1,COUNT(Sheet1!$C$7:$R$7))
and "DATUP" is =OFFSET(Sheet1!$C$6,0,0,1,COUNT(Sheet1!$C$6:$R$6))

I then write the Series equations as:
=SERIES(,'Scaling experiment.xlsx'!DATUP,'Scaling experiment.xlsx'!NBCL,1)

It works great except if all the data is removed from the table and then put back the Chart will not plot and I get the message "Your formula contains an invalid external reference to a worksheet". When I save the workbook, close it, and reopen it the chart now plots correctly again.

Why series equation never changes, so why does it do this?

Ask a Question