Entertainment Budget Sheet

P

packetdog

Happy weekend Excel gurus! I need some help please. We're trying to have a $200 per month entertainment budget that rolls over any positive amounts tothe next month. I was hoping to automate this to show the current period'sbalance based on the 'transactions' that I logged. I've created what I thought could be a base sheet (named ranges included) and I'm hoping to automate it.

I would like to keep it formula based because I haven't worked with VB.. I'm up for a total re-work of the two sheets that I have, or working with what I've already created.

Has anyone done anything like this? I guess I'm looking to have it dynamically calculate which transactions fall between the period dates and subtractit from the starting amount (which I just threw in $200.) Then I can look on the data sheet page to determine how much was actually spent during a period, but using the date/time on the computer I'm on I can see where I am for the month. Does any of that make sense?

Sample sheet is here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7974125/Misc/EntertainmentTracker.xlsx

All help is very much appreciated. Have a great weekend.

Thanks,
John

D

Don Guillett

Happy weekend Excel gurus! I need some help please. We're trying to have a $200 per month entertainment budget that rolls over any positive amounts to the next month. I was hoping to automate this to show the current period's balance based on the 'transactions' that I logged. I've created what I thought could be a base sheet (named ranges included) and I'm hoping to automate it.

I would like to keep it formula based because I haven't worked with VB.. I'm up for a total re-work of the two sheets that I have, or working with what I've already created.

Has anyone done anything like this? I guess I'm looking to have it dynamically calculate which transactions fall between the period dates and subtract it from the starting amount (which I just threw in $200.) Then I can look on the data sheet page to determine how much was actually spent during a period, but using the date/time on the computer I'm on I can see where I amfor the month. Does any of that make sense?

Sample sheet is here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7974125/Misc/EntertainmentTracker.xlsx

Thanks,
John

Post more examples of your logic

P

packetdog

Post more examples of your logic

Sure Don. So this is to track a monthly 'allowance' balance which would be reduced with recording transactions against the balance. April 1st it will start with $200. We will record transactions into the first sheet with the date and amount. Each time we record a transaction into the sheet I'm looking to have the data sheet calculate a balance left for each period (month.)Using formula logic I was hoping to have the sheet determine which transaction lines belong to each period and take from the running total. These totals for each period would be recorded on the data sheet, but also it would roll any remaining balance over to the next period. I just don't even know where to begin to get this to a fully automated process. I'm also open to thoughts of redesign if you think that is more appropriate. Is that helpful?Thanks for your assistance.

G

GS

After serious thinking packetdog wrote :
Happy weekend Excel gurus! I need some help please. We're trying to have a
$200 per month entertainment budget that rolls over any positive amounts to
the next month. I was hoping to automate this to show the current period's
balance based on the 'transactions' that I logged. I've created what I
thought could be a base sheet (named ranges included) and I'm hoping to
automate it.

I would like to keep it formula based because I haven't worked with VB.. I'm
up for a total re-work of the two sheets that I have, or working with what
I've already created.

Has anyone done anything like this? I guess I'm looking to have it
dynamically calculate which transactions fall between the period dates and
subtract it from the starting amount (which I just threw in $200.) Then I can
look on the data sheet page to determine how much was actually spent during a
period, but using the date/time on the computer I'm on I can see where I am
for the month. Does any of that make sense?

Sample sheet is here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7974125/Misc/EntertainmentTracker.xlsx

Thanks,
John

It will be a simple task if you set your sheet up like a bank ledger
where each month is listed and the balance rolls forward via formulas
in the balance column. Set your 'allowance' as a deposit, spending as a
withdrawal.

--
Garry

Free usenet access at http://www.eternal-september.org
ClassicVB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion