Entourage 12.1.5 & keychain.app (possible fix)

A

Allan

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel
Email Client: Exchange

I have noted that each update of Office 2008 seems to break Entourage's access to the login keychain. I have two machines using this software, a dual G5 desktop and an Intel core duo MacBook Pro. The story is the same with both of them. In most cases, I am aware enough of the problem that after an upgrade, I will immediately go to Keychain Access and delete my email passwords for the two accounts I use with Entourage (a POP3 and an Exchange account.) I failed to remember this with the recent 12.1.5 upgrade, and got into a world of hurt.
As before, Entourage comes up and brings with it a dialog box noting that the application has been changed and can it get access to the keychain. The smart thing to do at this point is deny access and force quit Entourage, then go and delete any Internet passwords from your login keychain (/(user)/Library/Keychain/login.keychain). On this round of updates, this did not help. Typically, Entourage appears to deadlock with the Keychain app and continuously through mach kernel traps. This can be seen by sampling the Entourage process through the Activity Monitor.
In any case, I found a work around in the following manner. After being logged in, I renamed my login keychain to login_old.keychain (though any other name would do). I then opened Entourage and found that it would come up successfully. I opened Keychain Access and found, not surprisingly, a null and locked login keychain. I then closed Keychain Access, and while leaving Entourage open, I renamed my login keychain back to the original name (login.keychain). I then reopened it in Keychain Access. At this point, I went to the Accounts menu in Entourage and attempted to force Entourage to store my account passwords in the keychain, but I got errors for both accounts to the effect that Entourage could not find a keychain (this in spite of the fact that I had it open at the time.). Finally, I quit Entourage and restarted it, and this time it asked for the account passwords and properly stored them in the keychain.
Frankly, I think it is bogus that I have to go through this kind of contortion every time MS updates this package. I have seen other apps that had problems with the keychain app after the upgrade to 10.5; for example, Equinux's MediaCentral and their "TheTube". They finally got their act together.
BTW, for whoever is checking details, I did also run Keychain FirstAid on my login keychain and found no problems. Also, it was not locked. Finally, I have been running through this exercise with every update since I installed Office 2008. This is all about Entourage finding email account passwords in the keychain after an upgrade. It has nothing to do with ISP access or delay times. I have seen the same thing with my laptop on the corporate LAN going to the Exchange server down 50 feet of CAT5 Ethernet cable.

D

Diane Ross

Thanks for providing details of your problem. There is another thread about
this issue. It can be solved by some by simply logging out/in or restarting.
Other users have had to revert to an older backup copy of Office then
update. Seems reverting to 12.1.4 did not work. You need to get back to an
earlier version. The developers are trying to track down what happened.
Personally, I had Office installed on two volumes. One updated without
problem and the other experienced the password problem, but only for some
accounts. The second volume that updated without problem was a clone of the
original. Go figure....

See the thread: "entourage 12.1.5 update password problems" for more
details.

Ask a Question