entourage 2008 unable to handle PDF files sent as attachments

C

cjanes

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: imap I've seen a few posts on this topic, but have not found any solutions that work.

I run Entourage 12.2.4 on a MacBook Pro, OS X 10.6.3, Intel processor. I have found that Entourage is unable to handle PDF files sent as attachments.

If I try to open from the e-mail, I receive this message: "It may be damaged or use a file format that Preview doesn't recognize."

If I save the attachment and try to open with either preview or adobe, I receive the same message. Adobe offers the message that the file may be "corrupted."

This DOES NOT HAPPEN WHEN I USE APPLE'S MAIL PROGRAM. Mail handles the attachments correctly, Preview will display, and upon saving, I can open in either preview or Adobe without problem.

I do not have this problem with Office files (Word, Excel, etc.).

This seems to be a problem with Entourage and how it handles PDF attachments. Here's what I've done so far: updated all software (OS X, Office, Adobe), and uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe Reader and Entourage. No remedy.

So, I now have to run Apple's Mail program to view attachments. Seems a clunky option.

Any ideas? Thanks.

C

Corentin Cras-Méneur

I run Entourage 12.2.4 on a MacBook Pro, OS X 10.6.3, Intel processor.
I have found that Entourage is unable to handle PDF files sent as
attachments.

If I try to open from the e-mail, I receive this message: "It may be
damaged or use a file format that Preview doesn't recognize."

I never ever have that problem. I doubt Entourage is actually
corrupting the PDFs. It looks like one of the servers along the way
(and possibly your e-mail server) is doing something nasty to this type
of attachment (and that I have seen before).
Any chance you could try with another account, like a free gMail
account for instance?

Corentin

S

SpiderTech

Have you tried saving the attachment rather then opening it?

I have not had this problem with any .PDF formatted attachments that did not come already in a .zip or .rar format.

Also i noticed you are on Snow leopard and are not using Entourage EWS, which is the most updated version.

I would recommend upgrading to the Web services addition and see if the update fixes the issue.

Note: if you are on the Student version upgrading will not work with Exchange.

D

Diane_Ross_MVP

On 5/11/10 3:32 PM, in article [email protected], "[email protected]" wrote:

Also i noticed you are on Snow leopard and are not using Entourage EWS, which is the most updated version.

I would recommend upgrading to the Web services addition and see if the update fixes the issue.  

They must meet the requirements to upgrade to EWS.

--
Diane Ross, Microsoft Mac MVP
Entourage Help Page   
Entourage Help Blog  
YouTalk

C

cjanes

Can't be the server because other e-mail programs, running with the same server, handle PDFs correctly.

C

cjanes

Thanks. Saving doesn't work with Entourage -- anything saved is un-openable. Apple's mail program opens, saves, etc. without a glitch. Clearly an Entourage problem. I'll try the upgrade and see if this helps.

Craig

C

cjanes

Hi, I do not use an exchange server, and the EWS on install suggests that it is therefore incompatible. I have avoided installing it because I really don't want to have to go through a complete unistall/reinstall with all the problems associated with importing a new identity, etc.

Are you sure EWS is the best way to go?

Craig

D

Diane Ross

Hi, I do not use an exchange server, and the EWS on install suggests that it
is therefore incompatible. I have avoided installing it because I really
don't want to have to go through a complete unistall/reinstall with all the
problems associated with importing a new identity, etc.

Are you sure EWS is the best way to go?

EWS is only useful for Exchange users. What are your settings in Entourage
preferences for Compose > Attachments? Are you sure you are completely
downloading the entire attachment?

--
Diane Ross, Microsoft Mac MVP
Entourage Help Page <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/>
Entourage Help Blog <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/>
YouTalk <http://tinyurl.com/bzcrjy> <-- Entourage mailing list
Twitter: follow <http://twitter.com/entouragehelp>

Ask a Question