Entourage doesn't like vCards from Outlook?

S

sfjase

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel
Email Client: Exchange

I have a contact in Outlook 2003 whose notes include special characters like curly quotes. When I export the contact to a vCard, Outlook uses quoted-printable in the vCard encoding. It looks like this:

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:User;Test
FN:Test User
NOTE;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Testing=0D=0AEntourage doesn=92t like apostrophes?=0D=0A
REV:20090519T230249Z
END:VCARD

When I try to open the vCard with Outlook, the notes are completely blank.

The same vCard will import into Address Book, although the curly quote shows up as the wrong character (an i with an acute accent) -- but at least the text is there. The same vCard also opens back in Outlook with no problem (and the quote is correct there).

I'm guessing that Outlook is using a Windows character set encoding causing the high-ASCII characters to look wrong on the Mac. But shouldn't Entourage at least import the text as much as it can, instead of skipping the entire field because of the one bad character?

I was hoping Outlook and Entourage could play nicely together (we're a mixed platform environment and need to share contacts in vCard format) but it doesn't look good...

Any ideas, or is it a known issue that might be fixed soon?

Ask a Question