Entourage hangs while getting mail, CPU at100%, may ask for password

H

Hank_Smith

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel
Email Client: pop

I get mail though a Verizon email account ([email protected]) and today I experienced the the application appearing to hang. In fact you get the "not responding" message in Activity Monitor or if you right click in the dock. If you do check Activity Monitor though you will see that E has one of the CPU cores at 100%.

After verifying the database I did a little checking on the FAQs at Verizon. It seems that they have just started blocking email programs that use port 25 for sending email. This is not suppose to affect verizon.net accounts but it does on Entourage. I changed the default port from 25 to the now required 587 and now everything works as before.

I did get dialog box that enter the password before this happened. I ignored it since this can happen anytime Verizon's servers are unresponsive.

It took a couple of hours to troubleshoot this so I am sending along this information in hopes it will help someone else out. It would be nice if E did a better job of handling mismatching passwords though.

Hank

D

Diane Ross

It took a couple of hours to troubleshoot this so I am sending along this
information in hopes it will help someone else out.

Thanks!! Everyone that is searching for answers will appreciate your time to
share your fix.

Security updates have created lots of problems for users until the required
changes were made. Most of this is to stop spam.

Ask a Question