Entourage suddenly deleted thousands of mail messages

G

gerwehr

The latest screwup by Office 2008: A couple of days ago Entourage 2008 suddenly told me that there was a database problem and I needed to verify/rebuild. I did and while it now works, I just discovered that it has deleted tens of thousands of my archived email messages. When I open the database utility I see two backed up databases. How do I go back to them, or get the data out of them and into the new one?

Given the numerous, enduring problems in Office 2008, I am strongly tempted to go back to Office 2004 and get my damn money back. Am I the only one?

M

Michel Bintener

Click on Entourage, Switch Identities and switch to your old database. Drag
the folders you would like to retrieve to the desktop, where they will
appear as .mbox files. When you're done, switch back to your new identity
and drag the messages back into the folder list.

The latest screwup by Office 2008: A couple of days ago Entourage 2008
suddenly told me that there was a database problem and I needed to
verify/rebuild. I did and while it now works, I just discovered that it has
deleted tens of thousands of my archived email messages. When I open the
database utility I see two backed up databases. How do I go back to them, or
get the data out of them and into the new one?

--
Michel Bintener
Microsoft MVP
Office:mac (Entourage & Word)

*** Please always reply to the newsgroup. ***

G

gerwehr

Thank you, but that was not helpful. I had to use Time Machine to get back my missing info and painstakingly resurrect my mail files. Then guess what happened? Entourage 2008 demanded I rebuild my database and then triplicated my folders again (but with different contents!). I say "again" because this happened right after I upgraded to Entourage 2008 from Entourage 2004 and I posted about it previously. I had to manually combine the folders and then use a script to slooooowly go through them and remove duplicates. This cost me hours of work time, and I ain't doing it again. I've gone back to Entourage 2004, which at least works. Office 2008 is absolute shite. Here's a crazy idea, Microsoft: release a product that works. If I bought a car and as I was driving it home the wheels fell off I'd be pretty pissed. I'd be in no mood to hear about how I can drag it home with a team of horses or a tow truck and wait for the "Wheel patch" to be released. I look forward very, very much to never using Microsoft products again.

Ask a Question