Entourage won't recognise MBOX Files

M

MAC.NETWORK

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Intel
Email Client: Exchange

I have a bunch of .MBOX files on my server, most look ok and have the correct icon and Entourage will import them but a few have the Unix binary icon and I cannot get Entourage to open or select them. There's nothing wrong with the content of the files because I can actually email them to myself whereupon they acquire the correct icon and will work! Since MBOX files are supposed to be text files, I don't understand how Entourage will not allow me to select any and all text files? If I go to File Import and browse for my .MBOX files, the ones without an Entourage icon are greyed out. Changing the document type or the file extension or the 'Open With..' or the icon will not help. Dragging the file into the Entourage folder list will not work and will not highlight the folder list. How can I get Entourage to recognise these files again?

M

MAC.NETWORK

I have a bunch of .MBOX files on my server, most look ok and have the correct icon and Entourage will import them but a few have the Unix binary icon and I cannot get Entourage to open or select them. There's nothing wrong with the content of the files because I can actually email them to myself whereupon they acquire the correct icon and will work! Since MBOX files are supposed to be text files, I don't understand how Entourage will not allow me to select any and all text files? If I go to File Import and browse for my .MBOX files, the ones without an Entourage icon are greyed out. Changing the document type or the file extension or the 'Open With..' or the icon will not help. Dragging the file into the Entourage folder list will not work and will not highlight the folder list. How can I get Entourage to recognise these files again?

I solved it myself .... using Quick Change from Everyday Software I examined the FileType and Creator and found that files that wouldn't work were type=XOBM creator=MIPO (?) changed to MBOX & OPIM and all was well. I batch changed all the files and now Entourage will import them.

Ask a Question